From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 252, 231, 225,198, 196
- 225 V-6 Engine Specifications
    - 2 Less = More, Stage II V-6
- The Baker Buick V-6

Thread: Rebuild of '87 GN

MYLARK Guest

Question

I am looking to do a shortblock rebuild on my '87 GN. I blew up a bearing earlier this summer at a local track (road course) and want to do a rebuild to repair it since the car has 90K miles on it. The engine currently is stock with the exception of a chip and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I don't have the money to do the heads, etc at this time so I just want to do the shortblock. My two objectives are to make the internals pretty much bulletproof and be able to handle up to 350 horsepower in the future as I do more. Any suggestions on things to consider in the rebuild along with recommendations on qualified mechanics (preferably in the Minneapolis area) would be appreciated. I can not do the rebuild myself.

A properly built shortblock with no modifications should be fine for 350HP.

However: It's not hard to crank these up over 400HP or more, just add some boost, some alky, a chip, and you can be making tons more power than you are now. Even then, really the only thing you'll need to modify for the lower end will be the pistons.

-Bob Cunningham

MYLARK Guest

Thanks for the response. Is there anything unusual about a rebuild of this engine? Since the turbo, intercooler, etc are obviously external I'm not worried about them but I just don't know if there is anything that requires specialized knowledge or parts internally. What is your recommendation on pistons? Also, since the engine will be out of the car, are there other things that make sense to take care of at that time (i.e. timing chain, etc)? Will the rest of the driveline be able to handle 350-400 horsepower without modification when the time comes? I'm wondering about the 200-R4, rear end, etc.

The whole drivetrain is very strong. You normally shouldn't have any other problems. There are people putting a lot more HP than 400 through these drivetrain.

For pistons, I think Speed-Pro makes "the" forged piston to use- these should do the trick for you nicely. Nothing fancy, but they don't have the excessive cost of a custom JE piston or anything either. And your machine shop can probably order them and include them with no big deal.

I would think that timing chain would be a standard replacement item. Make sure that you get steel gears- some Buick engines came with nylon-covered gears, dump those in the garbage if you have them (I don't think you do). Also get a new oil pump and all that stuff.

Should be a straighforward job by a competant shop.

-Bob Cunningham