Thread: How do I do a front end alignment on a 91 Buick Park Avenue

ParkAve411 Guest

Smile

I want to learn how to a front end alignment on a 1991 Buick Park Avenue. Could somebody please tell me how or direct me to a book I can buy or a website that tells how???I would really appreciate it. Thanks

pa,
    This is not something that can be done at home, unless you happen to have an alignment machine, in which case you would not be asking this question.
    Bill Koustenis
    Advanced Automotive Machine
    Waldorf Md

Original owner:
    1971 Chevelle Heavy Chevy
    1984 Buick Riviera
    1999 Chevy Tahoe 2DR 4WD

Enginerepairshop.com

RichardH Guest

Surely it's pretty easy on these cars? It is on my 1989 Buick Regal, anyway, since all you can change is the toe, which ought to be 0, or close to it. The camber and caster angles are fixed by the front strut mounts.

To check the toe I tie a 2x2 piece of wood across the midsection of each front tire, or at least high enough so that I've still got line of sight from the 2x2 on one side of the car to the other and long enough so that a few inches of the 2x2 protrude front and back of the tire. Then I stretch a tape measure from the top of the 2x2 on one side to the top of the 2x2 on the other side. Do this on both the front and back of the tire and you can determine if there's any toe angle.

The advantage of doing this yourself, at least from my perspective, is that my steering wheel is straight because I make sure it's stright, whereas it is inevitably anything but straight if I take the vehicle to an alignment shop. Then I have to go back and complain and they do it all again; it's a big waste of time.

If the frame is tweaked, on the other hand, then everything is going to be thrown off and you're out of luck.

If you try setting the toe yourself, keep an eye on the front tires. You'll soon know whether or not you screwed up because they'll start feathering.

I just bought 70,000 mile warranty tires on my Buick after adjusting the toe myself and the car has never tracked better.