From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 252, 231, 225,198, 196
- 225 V-6 Engine Specifications
    - 2 Less = More, Stage II V-6
- The Baker Buick V-6

Thread: My car wont start.

OSUfan Guest

I have a 93 buick regal with a 3.8 motor.The car has 237,000 miles on it. When turn the key to start the car,all you hear is clicking sounds,and the gauges on the dash are not working correctly. I have changed the starter and the battery.

fuses? fusible link?

Could also, be a bad ground, bad cable connections, or bad relay of some sort.

GO BUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Joe-(39 Century)

Remember it takes approximately 3500 bolts to build a Buick and only 1 Nut to spread them all over the highway"

Bernard Guest

If it's a machine-gun clicking, it's a lack of electrical power to the starter solonoid. If it's a single click with a concurrent dimming of headlights, etc. (gauges malfunctioning), it's probably a short in the electrical circuit from battery to starter; if without headlight dimming, it's probaly too much resistance in the electricla circuit between battery and starter. the starter.

Could also be a bad ground from block to frame to battery.

With that many miles, it is likely that internal resistance is building up in the starter cable and the engine-frame ground strap. Check the ohms of resistance through both of these.

OSUfan Guest

Unhappy

I checked the fuses and they all appear in good condition.I turned the ignition key all the forward and put a screwdriver across the main terminal and the s terminal on the starter.The solenoid sparked a little and the fan for radiator came on.Is this normal? Im about ready to drop the steering column and look for bad wiring going to the ignition.I was looking for the fusible links but im not sure where they located. I really hate to junk this car because the body is nearly perfect. The motor uses a quart of oil between changes which i think is pretty good for the miles it has on it.

OSUfan Guest

Unhappy

Bernard you may be right. I just turned on the headlights and the lights were very dim. Im thinking now of changing the positive wire from the battery to the starter. Im also going to take grounding strap off the block to the firewall and clean the ends/check resistance.

OSUfan Guest

Smile

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I changed both battery cables and the car started.I will have to change the fuel pump/filter soon. When i turn the car off, i hear a whirling sound in the back of the car for about ten seconds.I think the bearing in the pump is going bad.A tip to new members, read the entire forum. I found some good info from other members. GO BUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!