Thread: ABS system problem !!!

lebaton Guest

Hello from France , again.
    I sometimes have a problem with my ABS system.
    I replaced my brake pads on the back wheels.
    and since then, my ABS system is faulty.
    In fact, when I start the car, The electromagnetic sluice gates ABS are well activated,
    but after a time, when I slow down, I have a clattering sound on braking ( clac clac clac ) and finally,
    the ABS system disactivates and the indicator of the dashboard flashes.
    Question:
    I think that it is an ABS sensor on a wheel which must be dirty.( due to dust from the brake ?? )
    I noticed that in rainy weather, I dont have any problem.
    In dry weather , I often have this problem.
    If not, Can it be a bubble of air in the circuit?
    Is there an electronic problem on a [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] calculator ?
    I would like to add that this problem is not constant, sometimes everything is ok

Does somebody have an explanation of the breakdown?

I can also say that the brake actuation is ok , but without the ABS function , So it's not so serious.
    thank you so much in advance.

My car is a Buick Regal Limited V6 3L100 1991

dirt on the ABS sensors would not cause a problem, since they operate using magnetic fields.
    However, when you changed the brake pads, you might have damaged the sensor head, or the sensor wheel. Take your brakes apart again and look at the sensor wheel if it's visible. Make sure none of the teeth on the wheel are broken or chipped. Also make sure that the brakes are working properly.
    If all this is ok, then i would say the sensor is broken and needs to be replaced.

I would take it to a shop to be sure though, because they would have computers to be sure.

- Ben

lebaton Guest

Hi Ben .
    Ok i understand your diagnostic.

So , every teeth on the wheels are not broken or chipped. It's clean ...Nothing was broken when i changed the brake pads , sure.
    I thank at a moment that it was possible to have some dust of iron , and in this case the sensor never see the magnetic fields( no flip-flop detected ).
    Is it possible to check the sensor with a electronic controler ( Metrix tester for example ) and test the ohms value ?
    In this case , does somebody know the normal value of the sensor resistance when it's disconnected ? Is it possible to check it like a diode ?
    I'll try to check and compare the value for all sensors next week with my controler.
    If i can't solve this problem himself, i'll go to the mechanic shop for testing with a computer.

So , i remember now this problem begun few weeks ago , but very rarely.
    Now , the problem is constant.
    Perhaps i spoiled a cable when i changed the pads.

Thank's for your help.
    Have a good weeekend.

Bye [img]tongue.gif[/img]

RonLange Guest

i think the sensors should test between 900-2000 ohms of resistance, i may be wrong though, but many ABS sensors i deal with are in this range, just use a digital multimeter.