- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: lock up solenoid

road of lfe Guest

Angry

My 93 buick is on of the best cars ever owned. Everyone talks about Toyota and how long they can last, but I think that people should check the life and the perfomace of the Buick.

Anyway I had a problem with my buick i had the lock up Solenoind disconneted and i get crappy Gas milage i want to change it. Although I'm Machinecly inclined I know nothing about this and what to do. is the proccess to change the solenoid easy, and if so where do i begin to lock for the trany pan so i can complete this procedure? solenoid trouble

the lockup solenoid is not a part you can easily change yourself, no matter how mechanically inclined you are.
    I'm not an expert on GM transmissions, but I'm almost sure that the lockup solenoid is in the SIDE pan, and not the bottom pan, and is therefore unreachable without taking the trans. out of the car.
    There is actually very little you can do to a GM FWD trans. from the bottom pan aside from changing the filter since the valve body is in the side pan!

I might be wrong on this, but I don't think I am

Good luck,
    Ben

road of lfe Guest

O.K.
    Were can i get a more certian answer to this question? I'm not questioning you expertise on this subject. It is that i went to the auto part store and they to me that it is not hard to do, but i just want to be sure before i go and get this done, my budget is very tight and can not afford to take it to the shop at this time. the last quote I got for the work was $179.00 but the parts that i need are no more than $50.00 the solenoind alone coast 24.00, and the rest of the parts that I need is the gasket, filter, and the trans. fluid, so you see it is not worth $179.00 to do of I can do it myself.
    So If you get a more precise info on what to do i would be very greatful to you and the knoweldge the you posses thank you

road of lfe Guest

O.K.
    Were can i get a more certian answer to this question? I'm not questioning you expertise on this subject. It is that i went to the auto part store and they to me that it is not hard to do, but i just want to be sure before i go and get this done, my budget is very tight and can not afford to take it to the shop at this time. the last quote I got for the work was $179.00 but the parts that i need are no more than $50.00 the solenoind alone coast 24.00, and the rest of the parts that I need is the gasket, filter, and the trans. fluid, so you see it is not worth $179.00 to do of I can do it myself.
    So If you get a more precise info on what to do i would be very greatful to you and the knoweldge the you posses thank you

road of lfe Guest

Angry

solenoid certainty

perhaps your contact at the parts store can offer you detail information. or, if you haven't already done so, drop a dime at a book store and pick up a shop manual.

BB,
    If you really want to find out the correct answer, purchase the service manual for your car. I personally am in the business and still would not even attempt this type of repair without the proper service manual. Take the money you are saving by doing it yourself and but the books. Then the next time you need them, you will have them.
    Bill Koustenis
    Advanced Automotive Machine
    Waldorf Md

Original owner:
    1971 Chevelle Heavy Chevy
    1984 Buick Riviera
    1999 Chevy Tahoe 2DR 4WD

Enginerepairshop.com

road of lfe Guest

Thank you all for your help and information. Know that all your advices are taken considerably. God Bless

bb