Thread: Heater problem! T-Stat location! Hoses! 3.8L PA

rooster Guest

Hi Im new to the board! i have a 87 park ave with a 3.8 eng. Heater dosent seem to be putting out enough heat, I suspect the t-stat but not sure! Replaced leaking heater core last year! moter blows to all the right locations!The Auctuater moter whith opens and closes a door as the temp is incresed or decreased is working! With the engine at operating temp , both heater hoses are hot! Just not enough temp! My question is where is the t-stat located? at the end of upper hose or under throttle where heater hoses are? Second question can I have the hoses reversed where they clamp to the heater core?

The number one reason why people complain about their heater not putting out enough heat isn't the thermostat, it is actually bad coolant.
    Most people assume as long as the coolant is green, that it's still good. This however is not the case. You should have the cooling system flushed out completely every 30,000 miles. What happens is the heat holding capacity of the liquid actually diminishes over time.
    While you're doing this you can also change the T-stat. It's usually located on the engine side of the upper radiator hose. Make sure you also change the gasket and clean off all the sealing surfaces before putting it all back together.

As for the reversed heater hoses, this *could* be part of the problem, however once the engine reaches operating temperature, it shouldn't make that much difference.

Good luck!
    Ben

rooster Guest

Well I have to admit Im one of those people who go by the color of the anti freeze! Until winter comes! I allways and only watch for the protection of freezeing. Right now im only good for about 0 degrees!I did use the old anti freeze when I replaced the heater core last year. When I do change anti freeze I usally just open the **** on the raditor until it stops dripping, then fill her up! Its the only way I know of! As a experment im going to drop a therometer into the defrost duct and take a reading at operating temp, and again after the new anti freeze and t-stat is installed.

rooster Guest

The experment is done. I brought my 1987 Park Ave. (3.8 L) up to operating temp placed the thometer in the floor duct at idle for 15 minutes using existing anti freeze (old!good for 0 degrees)Temp reading 130 degrees. Then drained the raditor (aprox 1 3/4 gal)added new anti freeze, brought up to operating temp,at idle 15 minutes later took reading 130 degrees. NO CHANGE!

rooster Guest

The t-stat is in! 140 degrees I guess Ill have to live with that!