Thread: How can I pull codes with out scanner on a 95 Regal

mustang95y Guest

For some reason the car startes to sputter at 3500rpm and it will not go above 4000rpm so I would like to see if there are some codes on the computer but I do not want to buy the scan tool. I have heard that I can use a jumper wire and count the check engine light to get the code but I am not exactly sure how to do that?

buy a haynes manual and it'll tell you how to do that. Or you could buy the basic code reader for about $10 more and not have to screw around with jumper wires and crap like that.

Just for information purposes ... if the check engine light has not been coming on, there will not be any codes. Might save you some time and money.

Sounds to me like a good old fashioned fuel system problem, or maybe a restricted exhaust. You might actually save some money in the long run by finding a good shop that has the tools to quickly diagnose and fix the problem, rather than just throwing parts at it. Especially as expensive as some of the parts are now days.
    Bill Koustenis
    Advanced Automotive Machine
    Waldorf Md

Original owner:
    1971 Chevelle Heavy Chevy
    1984 Buick Riviera
    1999 Chevy Tahoe 2DR 4WD

Enginerepairshop.com

bj Guest

best thing to do is get a haynes manual from auto zone or o'reilly's. 20 bucks.it will have all the codes and what they mean. (auto zone may be able to pull the codes on obdI cars such as yours, not sure). or, jump terminals a & b on the diagonistics com port(usually under dash). do not start car turn key to "on" position. check engine light will flash on and off. first you will see it flash on once then pause, flash twice then pause again. this is a code 12= start diagnostics check 55= finish diagonistics. it will flash each code 3 times before displaying the next code. example= flash, flash, flash, pause, flash= code 31