From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970

Thread: Riv ride level extended and won't go down

sigsmaster Guest

I have a 97 Riviera and the other day the ride level started extending and over the next 2 days it has just been getting higher and higher. i feel like i am driving a tubbed prostock. how can i reset this and make sure everything is all right? thanks for the help.

sig,
    If it is like my Wifes 84 ... there is a sensor on the suspension that tells the system what height the car is at. On ours, there is a link from the suspension to the sensor mounted on the frame. If the link breaks, it could cause your problem. I doubt that it is anything that can be "reset" there is something wrong and it needs to be "repaired" You will need a factory service manual to help figure it out.
    Bill Koustenis
    Advanced Automotive Machine
    Waldorf Md

Original owner:
    1971 Chevelle Heavy Chevy
    1984 Buick Riviera
    1999 Chevy Tahoe 2DR 4WD

Enginerepairshop.com

sigsmaster Guest

Bill
    Thanks i am bidding on a repair manual now on ebay. could you tell me were abouts the sensor is located on the frame and is it just broken or is there some way to calibrate it? thanks again.
    Bry

Your 97 is a different chassis than my 84 so I dont know. The service manual will tell you.
    Bill Koustenis
    Advanced Automotive Machine
    Waldorf Md

Original owner:
    1971 Chevelle Heavy Chevy
    1984 Buick Riviera
    1999 Chevy Tahoe 2DR 4WD

Enginerepairshop.com

sigsmaster Guest

I look at some different forums and found some things on the subject. they said it may be a bad sensor. i found the sensor mounted to the frame and connected to the lower suspension arm with a small link arm. i disconected the arm and moved the actuating arm in both directions and no matter what the pump comes on in about 42 seconds.
    now i'm just spit balling here but before this happened a friend of mine noticed that the O2 sensor was disconected and there was a resistor stuck in the conector. he pulled the resistor out and plug the conector back in to the O2 sensor. i noticed that engine response was not as quick as before but normal to every other car i drove. is there any way the 2 were linked. i haven't tried to put the resistor back in because i don't remember what size it was. thanks for all the help.
    Bry

Lightbulb

Bry, I don't have the 97 Riv service manual, but do have the 96 and 98. The sensor at the rear axle, when detecting a higher than normal riding position, should energize a solenoid in the head of the air compressor to exhaust pressure built up in the shocks. This will lower the rear end until the sensor detects a normal suspension level and then cut off the solenoid.

I can scan the auto level suspension chapter from one of these manuals and send it you upon receipt of your e-mail address. The attachments will be probably in the 2-3 Mb range.

The O2 sensor has no interaction with the suspension system according to the shop manual.
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

sigsmaster Guest

Todd
    Thanks. tell me if i am thinking right. if you move the acuating arm in both directions and the pump comes on no matter what i more than likely have a bad sensor, correct? so far what i have done is disconect the wires to the pump and it has deflated to a normal ride height. i kind of figured the o2 sensor and ride level were not connected but being and idiot on electrical/computer automotive systems i thought i would ask. now the auction on my 97 manual will be over at noon today so if i get it maybe that will shed some light or more questions on the subject. thanks again. Bry