Thread: 84 regal heats up knocks like crazy

David Guest

my 84 regal 3.8 2bbl with 86tho orig. starts great runs good and when it heats up the oil choke lite comes on and then it knocks and runs like really really bad. i have new fuel filter and oil and oil pump. does anyone know this heating up problem???? please help me pdt81@yahoo.com

This is kind of a tough one, due to the fact that engine noises are hard to diagnose over the net. What might be a knock or ping to you, could be a tick to me.
    However, I can give you a couple places to start. If this problem only occurs while the engine is hot, you might want to change the thermostat and coolant, and also check the timing and see what that does.
    If that doesn't help, you're probably looking at a more serious engine repair. You could have a sticky valve, a bad lifter, a clogged oil passage, or worse.
    You should be able to isolate the noise by using a long steel or wood (preferably steel) rod and placing it on different parts of the engine while holding the other end to your ear. This should tell you approximatly where the noise is (top, bottom, left, right, front, back).

I hope this helps & good luck!

Ben

David Guest

Ok i have no idea of how to prime the oil pump up so i can even start the car. does the 231 v6 2bbl with the oil pump being two gears need priming?? also would the thermostat cause this kind of problem> this car has sat up since 98 after a new pump was put in and new oil. I am really lost with this if my oil gallies are clogged how do i fix/ also where is the oil pump pickup tube. I am really not wanting to tear up this car its been taken care of really well. I would like to thank you for your help. Ben your a good man, david

David Guest

Ben Also the knock or tick is not a ping, its like the rockers are ticking because of lack of oil now when you reply about prime i will put the pan back on and put in new pump then i will remove valve covers and replace thermo before starting next so i can tell if oil is coming up to the top of the engine. when its first started it runs like a brand new car. then it take a detour to hell. Man please help me thanks david

EZFrank Guest

Hey guy i had that same problem and it was my head gasket was missing a chunk buy the #6 cylinder and it would run fine till it started getting hot then mad a wierd knock sound and a ticking noise buy the valves and my oil light came on cause when it started to get hot it was breaking down the oil viscosity and oil got really slushy and clogged my oil pump pick up screen and wouldnt let oil up through it so oil pump wasnt pumping and oil light came on. hope this helps. EZFrank