From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 252, 231, 225,198, 196
- 225 V-6 Engine Specifications
    - 2 Less = More, Stage II V-6
- The Baker Buick V-6

Thread: Cam and crank sensor replacement

Lawrence Mackey Guest

Question

I have a 1995 Buick Riviera (3.8L supercharged engine). The service engine soon light started
    comming on occationally at first, and then after a few weeks, it stayed on all the time. At the
    last scheduled service, the dealer checked the trouble codes, and said that the problem was
    the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor, and advised replacing both.
    The cost estimate was a minimum of $1000 plus additional unkown costs. They said the
    repair required removing the timing chain cover to access the sensors, and this is why the
    high cost. A mechanic friend of mine says that the cam and crank sensors are external to
    the engine and that they screw in from the outside and doesn't require removing the timing
    chain cover. If this is true, shoulden't the job be a lot more reasonablly priced? I'm looking
    for some advise from someone who knows for sure. The car still runs and is in use. The
    symptoms are a slight intermittant miss in the engine at stedy state speeds. If you step
    on it, it goes fine.

tech jake Guest

Find a new shop. Maybe. Not sure on the Supercharged engines but the non supercharged engines are fairly simple to replace. My guess is your crank sensor is probably ok because you said nothing about stalling or not starting. The car will not run without the crank sensor. The car will run with a bad cam sensor though. At least get a second opinion from another shop. The sensors are external but you do have to remove the crank pulley to get at the crank sensor.

EZFrank Guest

yeah it figures these shopes just try to get your money the sensors are external and like tech jake said the crank sensor you have to take the pulley off but your car wont start if your crank sensor is shot i just replaced both on my regal t-type 3.8 turbo and i think 1000 bucks is kind of steap for just two sensors. hope this helps EZFrank

3echo9 Guest

I'm doing just that very thing right now on my 91 Lesabre. The dealer wanted $200.00 just for the crankshaft pos sensor. I'm sure the camshaft sensor would have been just a few dollars more since it's fully visible when replace the crankshaft pos sensor but who knows. If you tackle the job yourself make sure you have a very long breaker bar and the right puller. Autozone will lend you one but the one I got from them today did not have the tappered screws required. I'll be going back in the morning.

good luck

1988 lesabre Guest

Where is the camshaft sensor?

Hi folks: I have a 1988 lesabre, 3800 engine. Where is the pesky camshaft sensor? I have an intermittent stalling problem - see my thread in this forum for a complete description of my problem.
    Info from other sources indicate I may have a failing camshaft sensor. My Haynes manual doesn't show where it is or how to change it.
    If it's not too expensive to buy the sensor, I'd like to change it out. Can one of you folks let me know where it is and how to change it?
    Thanks 1988 lesabre guy

The only reason to remove your timing chain cover is to replace the magnet on the cam gear ( this is the trigger for the cam sensor ). I would get someone else to check your car . I would suspect the cranksensor .. but clear the codes first then drive and see which code sets first , sometimes you will get cranksensor code setting first and then the cam sensor code will set ( this would be a false code ) be careful just throwing parts on that you do not need. HTH

the cam sensor is under the water pump just to the left of the pulley, it's held in by a 10mm headed bolt. if the magnet's missing the car won't start

I have seen the magnet come apart and will set the cam sensor code and will start the car at times .HTH

i have seen more then a few that will run/start with a problem with the magnet. pull the sensor, turn motor until the magnet is visible with a light and mirror. there is 3 magnets in the insert, make sure all 3 are there. most of the ones i've run into the magnet is missing (the whole piece or some magnets) and they install from the backside of the cam gear (that's why the gear needs to come off). oh yea the housing for the magnets is plactic, plastic + heat and oil = brittle.