Thread: Towing

bf2knight Guest

Question

I know this is a bit out of "range" for most of this board, but I need some help. I'm trying to determine towing capacity of the 91-96 Roadmaster Estates. I know that 91 had the 5.0, 92-93 had the 5.7 and 94-96 the LT1. I really want to avoid buying a truck or SUV. Afterall, I would really rather drive a Buick....any help would be appreciated. You can email directly to bf2knight@yahoo.com

Arrow

The maximum gross trailer rating on the 92 and 93 models was 5000 lb based on dealer albums and salesman data. This seems to be the typical spec for large RWD cars from around that time. Competitive selling data shows the same figure for Lincoln Town Car, Mercury Grand Marquis, Ford Crown Victoria, Oldmsobile Custom Cruiser. Probably the same holds true for other Roadmasters of 91-96.

The V92 optional Trailer Towing Package was recommended for the Roadmaster. It included P225/70R15 WSW tires (sedan only), 3.08 axle ratio (sedan), 3.23 axle ratio (wagon), heavy duty engine and transmission cooling, engine oil cooler, heavy duty suspension (sedan), and automatic level control. If present, this option should be listed on the sticker on the inside of the trunk lid (sedan) or the right rear body pillar by the tailgate (wagon).

The standard cautions about tongue weight, hitch attachment, brakes, gear range selection, increased maintenance frequency also are given for passing on to buyers.
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

bf2knight Guest

Thanks Todd. What I'm trying to do is avoid an SUV / truck. I have a fold down camper (unloaded about 2800#, loaded, just under 3400#). I have three kids in booster seats so I need something large. (currently driving a mini-van without the capacity) I would also prefer the Wagon. If there is no sticker to be found, how else can I tell if the car has the trailer tow package? If it doesn't, would it handle the 3500#'s? I know that I will be installing a class III WDH w/ sway control and electric brake controller. I look forward to hearing back.

monkeyhawk71 Guest

If you find one in particular, post the VIN and I'll get a build sheet for you with all specs and options.

bf2knight Guest

You're on !! I have two I'm working on now. Here's one VIN 1G4BR82P8TR413187 The other should be in by the end of the week. Direct e-mail bf2knight@yahoo.com. Thanks a bunch.

Talking

The trailer towing package is shown as 'recommended' in the chart for the 92 models. Options for trailering on some of the smaller Buicks are shown as 'required'. The only thing shown as 'required' on the Roadmaster is the Class III hitch which you already know about. I guess that means the Roadmasters can handle the larger trailers pretty well even if the Trailer Towing Package was not originally installed.

Some of the features of the trailer towing package were available separately. Some of them can be installed conveniently now on a car that did not come with them. I would start wondering about the car's history if it does not still have the option sitcker. This sticker is supposed to be preserved even if painting or body work has to be done. Nothing beats Monk's offer to run the VIN though.

The Roadmaster sounds like a good choice for what you are going to be pulling. From my own minimal trailering experience, guys don't get into trouble getting the rig moving or even in stopping it. The problems come in maneuvering. Driving too fast in the rain, hotrodding it, adding too much weight behind the trailer's axle have been the cause of some minor accidents among buddies. Towing too heavy a trailer is another mistake. As the trailer weight gets up to about 50% more than the tow vehicle weight, the rig can become unstable. In an emergency move, the trailer starts driving the rig; the driver can't control it. The same trailer loaded the same way pulls fine behind a heavier vehicle.

69GS400s Guest

Is this a Wagon you're talking about ??

Im hooked.....bought my '94 RM Wagon 2 years ago from original older couple with 125,000 on the clock. Towing pkg, G80 Posi....Leather seats....the thing flat out blows away any SUV on the market.

First off.....I wouldn't consider anything but the 94-96 LT1 powered RM's. Its just soo much fun to drive with the LT1. More power than should be legal in a stock wagon....even more hiding with some simple mods.

Towing package DID NOT automatically get you the Posi rear in 94-96. Posi (G80) was a seperate option and was only 2.93 in the LT1 94-96 years.

Easiest way to identify the towing package is to open the hood. If you see one Mechanical fan with its Big fan shroud over the center of the radiator and one electric tucked in the drivers side, Its a Towing package car. If looking across the top of the Radiator, it is all flat, then its Not.

I think what you are looking to tow is perfectly within the realm of the 94'96 Wagons with proper maintenance, meaning good brakes, tranny service, and properly rated tires. This is assuming your trailer has electric brakes.....

Weak links on this car are the 4L60E Tranny, the window rollers (mostly rear) break and cause the windows not to funtion properly, and costly maintenance. The ignition system uses an electronic distributor called an OptiSpark which goes somewhere around 80,000 - 100,000 and it sits under/behind the water pump. If one fails you do both. I just did mine plus the plugs, wires, and all hoses and belt and it was approx a $1,200 parts and labor (and that cheap).....but that should last me another 100,000 as it replaced all original equip.

I plan on towing my '69 GS Convert. with mine but Im going to upgrade a few things link adding air bags to the rear springs, heavy duty (Metco) rear upper and lower control arns and a Hotchkis rear sway bar, Upgraded brakes and a Tranny rebuild with newly available 4L65E Hard parts.

All in all, Its the BEST everyday car I've ever owned....so much so I just bought my wife a Low mileage one to replace her Subaru. Fun to drive, quick and responsive for a whale, can Haul a huge load eith inside or trailered to the back.

Did you know you can fit a 4'x8' sheet inside !?!?!?!?!

69GS400s Guest

PS....

Check out www.impalassforum.com

scroll down to forums, and look down at the Wagon section. Alot of good info there, plus alot of good stuff on B-Bod's in general.

BTW....People are modding the HECK out of these things

check out http://members.cox.net/robertritter/

bf2knight Guest

I am specifically looking for a 94-96 Wagon. I want the LT1. Here's what I'm towing. I have a Coleman Bayside pop-up camper w/ electric brakes. Empty it weights about 2800#, loaded it will approach 3500#. I have 3 kids in booster seats. Here's my arguement. Base without trailer towing should be 5000#, with trailer towing about 7000# if my research is correct. Should be able to put all 3 boosters in the backseat without too much effort, tons of cargo room (ye ole grocery getter), awesome power and good gas mileage. Now while I won't be able to haul a load of dirt in the back, I can't do that in 99% of SUV's either so why dittle with 12-14 MPG when I can get 20?? I have found a 96 with 78M miles and a 94 with 30M miles. I'm a bit weary of the 94 (too few miles) but both have cloth interior (which I prefer over leather). Besides, I love the comments from my friends who call be "Griswald" for even considering one.....

bf2knight Guest

Unhappy

I'm too late. Both of the Roadmasters I was trying for are gone. It's back to square one, but at least I know that the Wagon can tow my camper. Thanks for all the help