- 1955 Wiring Diagrams
- 1957 Wiring Diagrams
- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: switching power door to manual door?

wuzzup Guest

i bought a replacement door for my 90' skylark and it has power windows and locks, while my sklark doesnt have those power accessories, is it possible to switch over?

it is easy, IF you have the complete wire bundle, switches,relay, etc. from the donor car.
    I have tranfered electric windows several times on cars and found out all of them where easy to do.
    Grease monkey and proud to be one!VISIT MY WEBSITE HERE

what you're going to have to do is gut the old door for the window cranking mechanism and locking mechanism.
    then you'll have to remove the power stuff from the new door.
    It might take some drilling and riveting to mount the manual hardware, but its not too hard to do. If you're lucky, all the mounting points will be same, or already drilled in the door frame from the factory and you just have to bolt it in.
    You'll probably have to use the old door panel as well due to the hole in it for the window crank.

P.S. The crank handle is attached to the cranking mechanism by a small snap ring. You'll need a straight pick and a hook pick to remove it!

Good luck!

Ben

wuzzup Guest

well i had intentions of using the origional door panel that is already in my car since its a different color than the replacment door. i already took the door panel off the replacment door(very easy) but i also need to switch the seat belts since the donner door has a red belt while mine is gray and the red one is also jammed and very dirty. I wish GM didnt have to mount them to the door, i cant figure out how to get it unhooked from the top of the door.

wuzzup Guest

also do you think this is a job an amature can do? i would need to switch the regulator and mount everything. the bodyshop whos painting the door might do it, but i was thinking if they could just mount the door on the car after painting i could do all the insides and save some cash for labor

what makes you think I'm a pro???
    annyone with some comon sence and who knows how to use a tool or two can do it.
    like syndicated says, you will have to drill some rivets out (tip: drive the hard pin in the center of the rivet out with a punch before you start drilling)
    I don't know on your car but on mine the buttons for the windows are sitting on the exact same place where the window crank was so some cutting and filling of the plastic and I could install the switch at the same location.
    when installing the window let the two bolts fairly loose, raise the window and then snug them down. the window will be perfectly on its place.
    biggest tip is: DON'T USE BRUTE FORCE! some systems take some reflection to figer out how to dismantle or install so be patient.
    Grease monkey and proud to be one!VISIT MY WEBSITE HERE

wuzzup Guest

just to make sure everyone knows what i'm doing, my car got hit and the drivers door got smashed, i found a new door that has power accessories while my car has manual. i need to switch the manual parts into the new doors and also the seatbelt

yea, i understood that from your first post. I've done this sort of thing before at work. It's not difficult, it just takes a few hours with the right tools.
    As for the seat belt, the D-ring (the top loop of the seat belt assy) should just be attached to the door by a T-50 torx bolt. Pry the cover off the bolt and just unscrew it. If it still won't come off there is probably a retaining washer that is getting stuck on the door. Just pry it up with a big screwdriver it'll come right off.

You can email me at bvollans@cogeco.ca if you need additional help, or keep posting on here.

Good luck!

Ben