From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Swap

Yogi442 Guest

JR/Bob K. Well we got the 455 pulled. I will be pressure cleaning and de-greasing than repaint. It will be painted stock Olds gold with the black brackets. I did not realize that it has the heat riser set up on it. Cross under exhaust may be a problem. My 350 does not have hear riser. If a problem with mounting will have to eliminate the cross under exhaust and manufacture a seperate driver side exahust from the maifold. I also, though remembered the alternator changes from 70 to 76 (no longer needing the voltage regulator) forgot that there was also a distributor issue. 455 has stock points and condensor with vacumn advance. The 76 has the stock electronic. I want to keep the stock 70 points unit so now I will have to figure out the wiring. Oh well, just something else to deal with when swapping.

Yogi442 Guest

Well the swap is not going anywhere near as easy as first appeared. The 70 455 mounts cannot be used based on position and design. They are not even close in resembling the Olds mounts from 76 as on my Cutlass. I picked up a set for mid 70's Olds which at this point appears will work. I will have to eliminate the eshaust manifolds and cross over system as this prevents the motor from dropping down into the cradle where the mounts need to be. A friend is fabricating the bast plate for the mounts. Next I will have to order headers and will need to look at manual choke or a new carb due to heat riser no longer will be on the engine. I would not recomend this swap to anyone. As an Old's person I will be the first person to tell you that headers on a 455 is one of the most difficult hook up's there is.
    Anyway between that and ordering a new exhaust system It will be a few more weeks before this is considered finished.

bodybyfisher Guest

The size of the car from the large earlier models in the 70's to the smaller sizes in the late 70's did not change the motor mounts for the cars...you can stick a 1970 350 right in a 305 equipped mid size 1980 monte carlo if you want. If you werent saying that you couldnt, then sorry to bother you lol

bodybyfisher Guest

of course I meant a chevy 350 [img]smile.gif[/img]

Yogi442 Guest

I am glad that you cleared that up since Chevy is not a BOP and will not bolt up the same. The overall size of Chevy 350 is smaller than BOP 350's. The 455 out of the 70 Delta bolts directly into the frame not on a base or frame mount. We are trying to use the base mount on the 76 but it sits fairly high compared to the way the 455 with 76 motor mounts would sit as in my 76 Cutlass. Not to mention that we are not sure of angle though the frames are same there is no guarantee that the angle of the base/frame mount will comply with the motor mount correctly. If not than we will just cut these down to fit the proper angle. The other thing to keep in mind is that 78 on to 81 used chevy motors that were referred to as Buick, Olds and Pontiac but were nothing more then true Chevy 305's and 350's. These were not in fact BOP motor's. 76 did not come with Chevy 350 but an actual Buick division 350 ci.

Yogi442 Guest

well we finally got the beast in. All that was needed was the mid 70's Olds 455 motor mounts. These are not the same as the ones that came on the 70 Olds 455. The 76 Century stock wagon frame mounts were compatible and once we allowed for headers it actually dropped in fairly easily. So in the future I will now know that the Buick mounts will accept Olds motor mounts so long as the years are compatible. Motor looks good in there. Today we have the cross member to put back. Tighten down the motor and finish up bolting the headers. Once that is done, start connecting up vacumn lines and electrical.

help

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi442 View Post
    Looking for general info on a swap. I have a 76 Buick Custom (Century) wagon. I am looking to replace the stock 350 with an Olds 455 with 400 th. Need to know if this is a direct bolt in. The 455 is out of a 70 88. Excellent motor and trans.I am aware that I will need to change out the alternator and items such as this but both vehicles are approx same size including the engine compartments.
    hi im swapping a olds 455 into a 71 buick skylark and need to know if its a direct swap if not were can i find engine frame mounts with out having to hack or weld universal mounts onto the frame

help

I have a 70-71 olds 455 big block that im swapping into my 71 buick skylark i need to no if its a direct swap or if the mounts need to be changed if so were can i find them with out having to hack up the frame or welding universal mounts in

get engine mounts for an Olds Cutlass from 71.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)