From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: ideas/input

bj Guest

hello all, new to the board. great place. i have always been a buick fan. growing up all dad ever bought was buicks. learned to love them and work on them as a young teen. now it's my turn. for my birthday my wife purchased a '78 2dr skylark 231 w/ auto for me to replace the '77 2dr s/r hatchback she got me to sell when we got married 22 yrs ago(i loved that car) [img]smile.gif[/img] . enough ramblin' now my quandry. i was very partial to the pont 301 in my '77, like the idea of a buick 455(torque monster) or modify the lil' 6 that could. this will be a work in progress. just looking for thoughts and or input. i am wanting to a weekend driver/sleeper/cruiser when i am done. sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

Thumbs up

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hey bj,

I see that You are a New Member. Welcome Aboard! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    The '78 Skylark is quite an unusual find. I can't remember the last time I even saw one. I had to look it up to remember what the Skylark LQQKS like. It appears that it is a later rendition/variation of the earlier Buick Apollo. There weren't many V-8's Put in those cars. Most were assembled with the V-6 231 (Even Fire) which is quite reliable. The Optional V-8 was an enemic 305. I don't have any experience with this Model, but I think putting a 455 would be a streach and require some Modifications. Putting in a Buick 350 would probably be a better fit.
    It sure sounds like a worthwhile Project with a Lot of Potential! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img] Tom Gallagher [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

bj Guest

Thanks for the welcome and reply Tom. A Chevy engine in a Buick is not an option(especially a 305). The Buick 350 sounds like a good alternative. I would also like to convert fron auto trans to manual. possibly a Saginaw 5 speed from a same year Skyhawk. I know it's probably a long shot but, I'll have plenty of time for this.
    Once again, Thanks.

350 Buick was available in certain years of the Apollo/Skylark/Nova platform, and IMO would be a great swap for this car. It might interest you to note that Apollo's share platforms with Pontiac Ventura's and Olds Omega, and Buick 350 was the common V8 other than Chevy. Of course this means many donor car/engine and trans. options, including 301 Pontiacs.
    The Skylark62
    Dan

bj Guest

thanks, the skylark. yeah i knew the platform was shared with other gm products. in fact when i had my '77 S/R, i knew someone that had a '79 olds omega w/ a 305 & factory 4 speed(saginaw i believe). with any luck i can find a donor car in a local salvage yard. i can even look for skyhawks, starfire's, etc.. i would still rather have a buick powered buick so it looks like i'm either hopping the 231 thats in there now or find a buick 350. keep 'em comin'.

malc Guest

A properly sorted turbo v6 with 5-speed. YUM-YUM, that sounds like a tasty option, plenty of power and torque, traditional and high tech, and a bolt-in as well, with no messy fabrication. Just a thought which immediately sprung to mind.
    Best of luck,
    Malc. [img]graemlins/shooter.gif[/img]

Sorry BJ, but skyhawks and starfires are the vega/monza platform, and the only V8's you'll find there would be chevy 262 or 305. V6 and vega 4's mostly.
    Dan

bj Guest

malc, i don't know if i am up for the turbo. i would really love a 350 w/ 4 or 5 speed manny!
    lark, i was referring to the skyhawks/ starfire's for the trans only. gm ahd a lot of clones these yrs. i think that would make finding a trans a little easier. thanks guys

A turbo-6 would be a great engine, but would probably take triple the work of a 350.

Build a good strong 350, I think and you'll be very happy with it.

-Bob Cunningham