Thread: Disc brakes for 1962 Skylark

TJ Guest

I have big time braking problems with the original drum brakes in my 1962 Skylark, partly because of the added weight from the chevy 350, turbo 350 tranny and 9" rear...is it possible to find a disc brake conversion kit for this car?.

sergio Guest

Try Mark Janis. Website www.scarebird.com. He came up with brackets for my '63 Buick Riviera. Brackets are about $100 plus shipping. You have to pitch in new rotors, pads, calipers, mounting bolts, bearings, wheel grease caps, hoses, proportioning valve, master cylinder, etc. It's an involved project to say the least. I am about 90% complete on my conversion.

TJ Guest

Thank you. I don't see on the website if it is all new parts or remanufactured parts in a complete kit... do you now wether it is or not...?

sergio Guest

Arrow

He will only supply the brackets in bare metal. He will then tell you that you need the rest of the parts from a 1970's full size Buick. The brackets for the '63 are so new in fact that they are not shown on his website yet. If he tells you that the setup is the same as for my '63 Rivi is the same, I can help you. BTW, chances are that your old wheels are not going to work with disc brakes. If you have any doubt about this go to a parts store and "buy" a rotor for a '74 Buick LeSabre. See if your wheel will fit the rotor, and then return the rotor, if you so wish. I found out the hard way that the diameter of the rotor hub is larger than the drum. Luckily, I found a later model set of wheels and will be e-baying the ealier set of wheels. ...Another thing that you can consider is simply upgrading to a 1-1/8" bore master cylinder and larger volume power booster. Doing this will get you a 26% increase in line pressure!!