Thread: Hand Tools

I have been to every Auto store in the aera, and many online stores. I can not find a dwell adjusting tool for the points on my Buick. They sell the cap, wires, Totor, points set, and everything else you need to tune up your Buick, with the exception of the tools to do it with. What's the point of even selling anything? I do not want to use a Hex key as I have had a bad experience once using one on a, forgive me....Chevy. I will not do that again. Where can I find something as basic as the proper tool to acomplish this task with?

Jim.
    When standing knee deep in water with alligators nipping at your backside, it's difficult to remind yourself that your initial project was to drain the swamp.

BCA #40621
    64 Wildcat Ragtop - 64 LeSabre 4-Door Sedan

Jim,
    I do not know of any tool other than a hex key. That is what I have used for 30 years ??? I dont know what type of tool you are looking for ? My 71 Chevelle service manual just shows a hex key being used. If you are looking for one of those hex screwdrivers with a "spring" type flexible shaft, dont waste your time. I tried using one many years ago and went right back to the good old "Allen wrench" ! With the allen wrench all you do is start the engine, turn the wrench clockwise until the engine just starts to run rough, then go back counterclockwise 1/2 turn and you will be within 1/2 degree of the proper setting every time. By the way, this is a published GM procedure. Cant be much simpler.
    By the way, dont forget that it has been over 30 years since GM put a point type distributor in most cars, so be glad you can even get the points locally [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Bill Koustenis
    Advanced Automotive Machine
    Waldorf Md

Original owner:
    1971 Chevelle Heavy Chevy
    1984 Buick Riviera
    1999 Chevy Tahoe 2DR 4WD

Enginerepairshop.com

Bill,

I haven't heard of that way of setting dwell! An interesting bit of info, I think I will play with it tomorrow

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Bob,
    It is in almost every GM service manual I have seen except I posted it backwards ... you go clockwise first. (It was past my bed time last night when I posted [img]smile.gif[/img] ) It is listed as an alternative method to using a dwell meter.
    Bill Koustenis
    Advanced Automotive Machine
    Waldorf Md

Original owner:
    1971 Chevelle Heavy Chevy
    1984 Buick Riviera
    1999 Chevy Tahoe 2DR 4WD

Enginerepairshop.com

I just tuned my points using that method (out of a Motors book), and it worked fine.

Well at least I think so- yesterday, my car died on the highway, but I think that's a different problem...

-Bob Cunningham