Thread: '56 Buick Special Air ride and brakes

Question

I am looking to do a disc Brake convert on my '56 Buick but can't find a kit out there does anyone know who has one. Also i am looking to put an ride ride system in but am haveing no luck with that either.
    Thanks for your help.

Try Powermaster Brakes

www.mpbrakes.com
    888-251-2353, 704-664-8866

Fat Man Fabrications has Dropped Spindal Conversion Kits

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Thanks for your help. Both had nothing to help me, but they told me about Classic custom brakes which have one.

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hey,56 BuickMutt

I may not have been right on Target, but at least You were able to get where You wanted to go.
    I'm Interested in You Project since I have a 56 Special 2 doot Hardtop Riveria. There were a Lot of positive Improvements on the 56 from previous models. Provisions in the Chassis makes it Easy to install Dual Exhaust. 56 was the first year for modern, inline, conventional shocks. And the 56 has Coil Springs front and rear which will probably help with ease of installation on your project.
    Every Year has an Achilles Heel an on the 56 it is the Braking System. It is a Mongral System, Singular to 56 only. Re-built kits for a 56 Master Cylinder are a Hard to Find Item, Especially if you have a Power Brake Unit. Buick Brakes at the time were Terrible, the worst in the industry they required longer stopping distance. Buick Engineering attempted to improve the system, but it wasn't until 1958 when they introduced a Steel Lined, Finned Aluminum Brake Drum, that improved braking power and decreased Stopping Distance. Those Aluminum Drums are Really Sharp and are Covited by T Bucket Hot Rodders. They are Hard to Find and the ones you are able to locate have been turned down so many times they are Useless. I have heard that someone is going to reproduce them, but I imagine they will be quite expensive.
    What Modifications do You have planned for Your '56? Fill ME in. I'm Interested in making a few upgrades Myself. I want to install a Hotter Cam and add a Offenhauser Tri-Power Intake, along with a Aluminum Valley Pan, Valve Covers and Spark Plug Covers. Mice Dress-Up Items. But I have to Upgrade the Braking System and I need some Ideas. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Tom Gallagher [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]

Hey Tom
    Sorry about the thank you I am just a bit on edge with this whole project. As I am starting where someone left off. Keeping the story sort I got a call one day from an old boss saying that he had a cool 50”s car that I could have if I towed it away. So I went out there and fell in love with the body. Only problem is that there was no engine or tranny and the thing had been gutted. So now I am on the do I restore or do I hot rod? So being the young guy I am I am going to make it a ’56 Buick special hot rod. The list of stuff I am going to do is Air ride suspension, Disc brakes, Ls1 motor/4l60e tranny, and nice rims. Other then that the outside is going to be stock. That’s the plan I hope.

1955 fink Guest

56 buickmutt,
    hey, i'm located in New Mexico and i have found a place near me that has a slew of finned buick drums. we just picked up a pair of em' for my friends hot rod. i think he paid $100 for the drums and they were in excellent shape. Hey, also let me know if you have any luck finding an air bag setup for the buick. i have a 55 century and my plans include air bagging it. if you have any questions let me know. i can get you the info on the salvage yard.

Cheers..........travis

Thumbs up

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hey 1955 fink

I'm also involved in This Thread. I Think that Your Discovery of the Salvage Yard with the Buick Finned Aluminum Brake Drums is a Unique Find. Do the Drums Require Lug Nuts or Lug Bolts ? And You Say that they have Considerable Surface Area Remaining? There are 2 Types of Aluminum Drums and I don't Know which is which, but one type was later used in the 60's. There are 45 Finned Drums and 90 Finned Drums. It is Very Possible that someone on this Buicks.net Board will have the Answer. Also I don't know if the size of the Brakes and Shoes are of a different size. Then again If One is Willing, They may want to Upgrade to Disc Brakes, especially the Fronts.
    There are Differences between the '55 and the '56. I don't Know if IT will effect the Installation of a Air Bag System? Both have Coil Springs in Front&Rear, which is a PLUS. I don't Know if there is a Difference in the Suspension. In '56 Buick Upgraded the Frame and has Conventional Shocks. While the '55 have the Lever Action Type Shocks. The Rear has Coil Springs and the Inclosed Driveshaft "Torque Tube" Set-Up. The Front Suspension MAY be different, with the Introduction of Conventional Shocks, there may be Significant design changes. I Know with the'56 the Conventional Shocks are Affixed and Positioned laterally inside Through the Front Coil Springs. How are the Lever Action Shocks Enginered on Your '55? Do YOU Plan to Make any other Modifications/Upgrades on Your Project?
    I think that I'm going to keep the Exterior Stock, except for some LED lights in the Portholes, Hooked-Up to the Running Lights and Directionals. It's a Really NIFTY Modification.
    I plan on putting in a slightly Hot Cam and a Tri-Power Intake, and Eventually a Set of Kelsey-Hayes 40 Spoke Wire Wheels.
    [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Tom Gallagher [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]

1955 fink Guest

tom,
    about the drums, i'm not quite sure what kind of applications they'll fit. in this case my friend was going to fit them on his 29' hot rod he is building. as far as the fins i'm not quite sure about that either. if memory serves me correct the drums are off of early 60's buick rivieras. he had about 5-6 more sets at the yard. as far as mods i plan on doing to my car....man...where to start. right now i'm in the process of gathering parts for the car. i recently purchased a tailight for it from wheatbelt buick(GREAT FOLKS!!!) now my car is getting ready to go into the shop for paint & bodywork. i'm going to make my buick an early 50's kustom. i'm going to put skirts, lake pipes, dummy lights, & flipper hubcaps. it's going to be a long process but it's definately worth it! i'm going to put it in a suede black& red paint scheme. interior is going to be stock. all this is kinda tought to do seeing how i drive my baby everyday.but i tell you what you guys on the board have been such a great help!!!

Travis

2 years ago i mounted disc brakes to my 56 olds using a mounting bracket kit from classic performance products. the kit is designed for the 47-54 chevy pickup, but the spindle bolt pattern is identical to my olds and i suspect it is the same for a buick as well. cpp has good user friendly tech articles and they are worth a look. i used fresh rotors in the front but junkyard calipers which i rebuilt. for the rear end, i liberated pieces from a late 80's el dorado. this is not difficult nor hard work to do, but it isn't a weekned project either. on the plus side, this way, you can have 4 wheel discs for about the same cost of a commercial front wheel disc kit. there is some machine shop work involved plus you get a chance to put your garage engineering skills to use. of all the changes i've made to the car, this is without doubt, the most satisfying-ever.