Thread: '65 GS need opinions and info

1967GTO Guest

Went ot a garage sale today and came across a dissasembled '65 GS. It's all there, has Very little rust and decent interior. Here's the problem. It's been wrecked. The frame is bent behind the passenger side front suspension. It hit a tree sideways and pinched in the frame. He has another frame to go with the car and all the sheet metal to replace the damaged stuff. Other than that the car is a very good survivor. It is red w/ black vinyl top and black interior. It was originally a 2x4 car. The intake and carbs were stolen, but the wildcat 445 aircleaner is still there. It does have some damage to the firewall too. The 4spd and posi rear are all there. It is a project car.

What is a good price for this car?
    How rare was the 2x4 set-up?

He said to make an offer on it and we're trying to figure out where to begin.

If you are talking a 65' Riviera GS than the 2x4 was an option, but I don't think it was an option on the GS (skylark). The aircleaner housing should read Wildcat 465 for a 425cube motor, which the 2x4 option was available for, not Wildcat 445, which was for the 401. I stand to be corrected, but I don't think your getting the whole story here, as things seem to be a little mismatched.

Doug
    67 Electra 225 Convertible
    BCA# 43125

1967GTO Guest

Well I did some researching on the web...which doesn't have much, but in an article on a GS (skylark based) it says that in '65 the 2x4 became a dealer installed option. As far as I see the Skylark GS had a 401, so if it is possibly real then it would be a 445 wildcat I guess... I'll keep looking

Here's the link to the '65 Hot Rod magazine article where it briefly mentions the 2x4

http://www.buickstreet.com/images/ar...adtest-pg5.jpg

ok here's a picture of the 445 aircleaner in the same article. I guess it is near impossible to find out if this car was originally equipped with the 2x4 without a window sticker...

http://www.buickstreet.com/images/ar...adtest-pg3.jpg

As a Skylark GS, it only came with a 401, and as you have found, the 2x4 was dealer installed. Sound like an interesting car. If it's reasonabley priced I'd grab it.

Reasonable price varies from buyer to buyer. Some people who cannot do much of the work themselves cannot afford to pay anything. Others who can do everything themselves and enjoy it, can pay more if they want to.

You can find 2x4 set ups on EBAY fairly often. They seem to go for 1500 or more for a good one.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Wildcat 445 = 401 with single 4-bbl- the air cleaner looks huge (like article shows)but is for a single 4-bbl.

Super Wildcat had 2 snorkel chrome air cleaner and the 2-4 bbl
    Ted Nagel
    (6)65 Wildcats; 65 Riviera; 65 Special Wagon; 65 GS; 65 Skylark; 67 Wildcat; 67 California GS; (2)68 GS400; 69 GS 350; 70 GS Stage 1; Wanted: time to fix 'em