- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: Wiper Woes on a 62 Invicta

Red face

I have an issue with the wipers on my 62 Invicta. When I turn on the switch, the wipers take a very long time to come on, and when they do finally come on, they will not shut off for anything.

I had a parts car that did the same thing.

Is it the switch on the dash?
    Or, the wiper motor itself?
    Or, a bad ground?

It seems like it has trouble working when it is parking the wipers down low on the windshield after you turn it off.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Randy
    62 Invicta with 70,000 original miles. Dual exhaust otherwise stock. Blast to drive.

I would say almost definatly, that the problem lies in the wiper motor itself, and there may be another problem with the "transmission" in the wiper motor.
    Before jumping to any conclusions however, i would test the connections at the switch, if those connections are operating properly, check those at the motor with a wiring diagragm.
    If those check out, i would imagine that there is an internal electrical problem with the motor and it needs replacement.

Good luck

Ben

i would also say it's the motor. high resistance=low voltage.

James Guest

I have the same problem on my 62 LeSabre. I have to turn the switch lots to get them to come on. I know the switch is good. It's been very puzzling tho lol.

my 62 lesabre turns on great and switches from low to hi and back without a problem. I seem to just take patience to turn them off i shut off the switch and usually within 10-15 wipes they finally shut off does this sound like the motor as well
    1962 Lesabre 4 door seadan
    2007 honda element (at least its american made by UAW workers in East Liberty OH)
    09 Chevy AVEO (100% percent korean assembled, 70% korean parts, 1% usa and canada parts,) Which one is the domestic again i am confused?

Not only do you have a problem with the resistance in the motor, it sound as if you have a problem with the
    park switch.

You should have three leads going to the wiper motor, black to terminal 1 and white to terminal two. Terminal one will be the connector toward the passenger side.

Also there should be a grounding tab on the back side o the the insulator of the three bolts holding the wiper motor to the body.

Connect a jumper wire from the wiper motor frame to a solid ground and try operating the motor. if it operates
    better then the grounding tab has dirt of grease between it and the body of the car. Pull all mounting bolts, pull motor, clean tab and body surfaces.

No change the:
    Turn on the ignition and check for 12 volts between the no. 2 terminal and ground. No voltage, you got wiring problems

You have voltage;
    Ignition on
    connect jumper from terminal 1 to ground. If motor operates, you have defective switch.

If your motor operates but at a slower than normal speed, your motor probably has a worn or dirty commutator. You could opent the motor and check the brushes for extreme wear, possible replacement. Where the brushes ride may look black which is ok. If the gaps on the communtator(where the brushes ride) are full of worn material this will cause high resistance. What you can do is take some 400 grit sand paper, wrap it around the commutator and clean it till you see clean copper all around. Then take a very small screw driver and clean out the gaps. you don't have be agressive, nor do you need to clean that deep. Put it back to gether and do the test again and see if it runs any better.

It does not? It will need replacement.
    Last edited by wgh234; 11-02-2008 at 06:24 PM.
    Bill

Wiper woes

I also had the same issue on my 62' Wildcat. The wipers would sometime come on, then to turn off, was like infinity especially since the rain stopped 10 miles back. very embarrasing. I bought a freskly rebuilt one on Ebay from a guy who charges $325, but to me it was worth it since they work great. it was all in the wiring of the unit, not the car. It may seem like alot of money but once done, it'll hopefully work for another 48 years!