From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: 1964 buick skylark

oldiebutgoodie Guest

I'm in search for information on tearing out my 300 and throwing in a 454...possible? what are my biggest problems i face if it is?
    thanks

eric1234 Guest

Hi,
    I have a 1964 lesabre and i am thinking about doing the samething. From what I ve heard the engine should bolt up to the super turbine engine in ours cars but the motor mounts will have to changed. Let me know if you find any other info out. I think if you put in a 350 in it might be easier.

Smile

Hello, I also have 64 Skylark, which I just bought. It came with a staight six [original motor long gone]. My plan involves the installation of a 1968 430 and Turbo 400 trans from my Electra 225. Apparently adaptor frame mounts for this swap are available from Year One,
    don't know if they stock mounts for big block Chevs. Yet, I've been told that 64-67 GM "A" Body frames are virtually identical, so this swap may be relatively easy. Can't say for sure about your trans bolting up, but could it handle the extra power???
    Tom B
    65 Gran Sport

Unhappy

Boy, I would hate to see you put in a Chevy engine in an old Buick like that. If you want more grunt, put in a 455 Buick and have a blast with all the low end it will give you. Or if you wanted to stay in that period, you could might be able to find a 425 ci nailhead and put that in there. I have a 62 Invicta, and the best part of the car is the engine. Without that nailhead, it is just another car. That engine is what sets it apart from all the other cars. When I have it out, people want to hear it run and look under the hood.
    Just a thought.
    62 Invicta with 70,000 original miles. Dual exhaust otherwise stock. Blast to drive.