- Buick Cam Specifications for 401 and 425 nailheads
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Exhaust manifold and exaust pipe

I just realized and found out why my car doesnt produced the vacuum it should. I thought it was a crack in the manifold but noticed in fact where the exaust pipe and manifold meet up at.. theres a good half inch gap between the two even tho they are bolted together. My problem is that im scared that i will ruin the bolt heads if i try to unbolt them and put a spacer or bigger thicker gasket in beteween the two. It seems heavily rusted and able to brake. What can i do? any suggestions? I have thought that i would just chill and wait until i get the engine pulled for a rebuild. But it would be nice if i could fix it now since my old org. engine doesnt seem like its gonna go kaput any time soon. It drives and hums so nice. And i dont believe its ever been rebuilt. Anybody have any ideas for me? And since theres this air gap is this why my vacuum doesnt work on my windshield wipers, and fuel pump effectivily? Also i had another question, how easy are these universal electric wiper kits to install. And any sources of info that anybody has for these kits? Ive seen one made specificly for a 55 buick special but its 250 dollars. I also found a universal one from hampton coach but its only 50 bucks. and im scared to order cuz yall know how these supposive universal kits go sometimes. Anyways let me know guys. what yall think and think i should do. ? kc?

Hey KC ( the Sun Shine Kid)

It's Your Fuel Pump!

The '55 has a Dual action Fuel Pump!

It operates both the Fuel and the Vacumne that operate the Wipers.

Todays Modern Fuels just eat up the original pressed tarpaper diaphrams, which create leaks in the system.

You probably have to get the pump rebuilt.

Since You are experiencing 2 problems that are initiated by one source, I would start there.

A lot of these problems are solved by the process of elimination.

Fix on source and them go to the next. If it doesn't work the first time, you have already replaced the part, it is new and you know that is fixed and you go to the next.

You have to rule out ALL Posibilities, One step at a time.

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

KC

As far as the exhaust is concerned, our cars have a "Ball and Socket" type construction.

As long as You aren't experiencing any Noise, Leaks of Fumes. Your "Good to Go"

The connection should not meet or come together, since the ball is pressed into the socket under significant pressure (male into female) you are assured of a tight fit. That is unless the metal is breaking down and rusting out as exhaust systems due over extended periods of time.

Many people do not know this, but the by-product of the Internal Combustion Engine is that for every 5 gallons of fuel burned, One Gallon of Water (Steam or Vapor) is created and is expelled through the exhaust and moisture sits in the inside of the pipes creating rust and rot/

So the Metal rots 2 ways from the inside out and the outside in. It's a double edged Sword!

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861