Thread: Brake Drums

Unhappy

I called up Kanter today to buy 4 break drums at the special they are running.. 4 for 299. And i should have done it last week when i was supposed to because they ran out of the drums. And told me it could be no less than 90 days before they restock them. Unfortunetly i do not have that much time. My brakes fade when i press on the brake pedal. And he also told me nobody makes these brake drums anymore. That Kanter had to get a outside company to produce they ones they had. Even worse, i called up a local classic car recylcler and they qoated me 125 for each used. WTH? So right now im pondering what i should do next? They said if they turn there good, if they cant turn them there not good? I mean i use my car daily so getting drums that dont last but one turn is useless. Can anybody help me? Anybody got drums for a 1955 buick special 40 series. If so help me out.. anybody else have a comment pls post.. and btw.. sorry to anybody who i pissed off last week. Pls forgive me . kc

Hey KC

I made a previous Post on the Subject Last Week

posted June 17, 2005 11:06 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Far as finding Replacement Brake Drums

A good research source is www.hemmings.com

These are the Vendors/Suppliers I researched.

Maybe one of these Guys have some old stuff in stock.

also check out Master Power Brakes www.mpbrakes.com

and

A-1 Clutch and Brake www.A1CLUTCH.com 888-885-2526 & 305-885-2526

A&D Auto Parts www.adantiqueautoparts.com 440-237-9300

Automotive.com 800-669-8001

Vintage Auto Parts Inc. www.vapinc.com 800-426-5911

Old Car Parts 100 www.home.earthlink.net/~ocp100

Those are the sources I was able to come up with.

If your going fishing I hope you land 4 keepers

Regards,

Tom Gallagher

--------------------
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.
    NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Before you buy, you should pull your drums and see if you need new ones. I don't have the spec for how far you can turn them, and looking at some '52 ones, they may not have the max. size stamped on them.

I can help you with is:
    front interchange is
    '40-49 40, 50, Hvy. Duty
    '40-51 60, 70
    '50-51 40,50 Hvy. Duty Rr. Only
    '51 59 Hvy. Duty Fr Only
    '52 40-50 Fr. only
    '52-55 70 Rr. only
    '52 59 Estate wagon
    '53-55 40 Fr. only
    '53-55 50 , 60, 100
    '56 all rear

Rear interchange
    '40-51 40,50, Std. brakes
    '52 40,50, rear only (exc. 59 Super estate wagon)
    '53-55 40 Rr. only

Maybe someone else knows the max turn size. My '57 manual shows a 12" drum to a max of 12.83

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Hey KC

If you bring the drums to a good parts supplier who has a lathe, They can tell you in a minute if the drums are any good.

If you have Brake Fade it is due to heat expanding the drums.

The Front brakes do about 60% of the braking. Check them first.

If You can't find some from the list I supplied you with in a previous post you may be able to find some at a salvage yard

Tom Gallagher

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Hey kc,
    Sorry I can't help with the drums.I have a '55 series 40 also,and have some used parts.I don't wish you any bad luck ,but maybe I'll be able to help you with some other part.If that time arrives you can have the part for the price of shipping.I wish you luck in finding a solution to the brake problem.
    Iddie

Man yall are really some nice people.. i really regret talking to one of the regs in here like that. Anyways.. yeah kanter is straight out of drums, fortunetly i bought some at a salvage yard in north texas. This salvage yard is kinda expensive but its beutiful. As trashy and country as it sounds, if took a couple of past dates out there to get some parts before and they thought it was the most awesome thing they ever seen. It also helped me get in the sack quicker too lol jk Anyways this salvage yard in north texas ( denton) is humongous.. im talking about a HUGE amount of land.. nothing but old cars all around it, its right off 35 going north like u where driving to oklahoma city taking 35 from dallas. Anyways thanks guys.. i got 2 rear brake drums for 125 each.. i guess i needed them bad. Anyways, im going to post a question topic about disc brakes in a few min because i was wondering how good these adapter kits for disc brakes cost and work. kc