Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radiator core question

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hi Iddie,

Glad things worked out O.K. for You dispite a few problems.

It seems that Your luck is them same as mine.

The "Murphy's Law Principle" If anything could possibly go wrong, it does. [img]graemlins/angry.gif[/img]
    Mine is snapped bolts and then drill bits and not-so-easy outs. Those Left handed Twist drill bits seem to work a bit better. [img]graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Now that the cooling problem that has been the albatross around you neck and has been pestering You since last year is finally put to bed. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

It's time to do some Cruising [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Regards, [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Hello Tom,
    I cruised [img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img] a little saturday,and may cruise today.The temps.are supposed to be in the 80's .Sorry to hear about the snapped bolts.I finally put my wide whitewalls on and the old Buick looks pretty sharp.I think I'll start thinking about shocks next,but I'm in no hurry.
    I'm nearing the 300 mile mark on my rebuilt engine.I have read that the head bolts should be re-torqued at 500 miles.Is this really necessary?Did you get started on your carburetor rebuild?Talk with you later.
    iddie [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Tom,
    What bolts did you snap off?
    and have you been able to get them out yet?

Bob

iddie

I built an engine for my first car (1967 Camaro, 327 bored .030 over) and I do not remember the need to do that, but if the "book" says you should check them, I would recommend it, for no other reason than covering you butt on the expense of rebuilding the motor again if something goes wrong

Bob

Hello Bob,
    I don't remember which book I saw that re-torque advice in,so I'll have to go through my '55 shop manual,'55 Chiltons,and some newer engine rebuilding books that I purchased before starting my rebuild.Thanks for responding.How are your hobbies & projects coming along?Talk with you later.
    iddie [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I have Snapped a few. I sprayed them with plenty of PB Blaster. The other Bolts for the sending unit came out like a brease. the last one was a little stubburn so I wiggled it and I thought that it waas working it way only the head twisted off. so I have to drill out the bolt which was in the gas tank. I started to drill and I'm taking it easy and I was making progress then I started with a little bit larger drill bit and it going good and just when I'm about done the drill bit twists and snapsoff in the hole. Now try to drill through the hardened tool steel.

I got some left hand twist drill bits and I brought the tank to work and I had to use a big drill press. After some patience and perseverence I was able to get it out and then had to tap a new hole.

The way my luck is running lately, I think I could break an Anvil with a Fly Swatter.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861