Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radiator core question

Hello Everyone,
    The radiator shop gave me two more options.I can replace my core with a new core that has 2 rows of 5/8 inch tubes,or I can get 3 rows of 3/8 inch tubes .I'm lost & don't know which one to order.Please give me your thoughts.I can't figure out if there is really a difference.
    I started a new thread because I didn't want this new question to get "lost" under the old radiator question.I am hoping I didn't do anything wrong.Thanks in advance.
    Iddie

The 5/8 tube radiator has more surface area for cooling (not enough to make much of a difference). In my opinion, I would take the 3 row radiator if only for the fact that if you need to pinch off a row in an emergency, you wont lose as much cooling capacity as you would with a 2 row. I would check replacement cost for both also. That may be a deciding factor, or air conditioning, etc..

Hello needamotr,
    I don't have air conditioning & don't plan on having it installed.I was given a recore cost of $218.00 for the 2 rows of tubes & $250.00 for the 3 row recore.I have no experience with this & don't know if this is a bargain or excessive.Do you have any idea ?Thanks again for responding.
    Iddie

Iddie
    I've always found more is better in radiators. It's gonna get hot about August in South Carolina doncha think.

Hey Judd,
    Yep,it's hot right now.I'll take your advice.

the two row has about ten per cent more surface area but also has more volume circulating through it that needs to be cooled. check out griffin radiator web site. you can almost make a case for either 2 or 3 row.

Hello heidigirl,
    I'll check it out.Thank you.

He Iddie,

Just Checking-In to touch base with You.

How are things going with Your Radiator Project?

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Hello Tom,
    I'm waiting for the radiator shop to phone me.I ordered the heavier duty 3 row core.It had to be ordered from out of state.I checked out Griffin's site but they didn't list anything for the '55.I'll let you know when I get it back & installed.Thanks again everybody for helping me out.
    Iddie

Hello everyone,
    Took the Buick out for a spin today.The "new" radiator seems to be working fine.When I went with the bigger core I didn't realize I would change the way the radiator shroud/fan blade thingy would ride next to the core.Yep,I put a few dings :mad: in my new core because that shroud thingy was pressed tightly against it.I did use a piece of cardboard cut to the size of the radiator during installation so the fan blades wouldn't nail me,but I never gave a thought to the shroud.Luckily the core is not damaged to the point of leaking,and I resolved the problem by inserting some washers.
    I also blundered into getting my generator to charge.
    Thanks again to all of you who helped me [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] .

iddie