- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horn wire broken in steering column. Need help

Starpilot Guest

1956 Buick special 2 door HT.
    The horn wire in the steering column appears broken. The horn ring doesn't work but when I turn the steering wheel the horn keeps shorting out.

I removed the horn ring and have accessed the top of the wire. It clearly is shorting out. I am about to try to remove the steering wheel to see that will allow me to see / access the wire but I am uncertain if this is correct. Am I going about this correctly? Would appreciate any help possible.
    Thank you. Louis NJ

I do know that typically the horn wiring is accessible by removal of the steering wheel, but as I have not had to do this to my own 1955 Special yet, I can not be 100% certain, and my 1955 Shop Manual doesnt say specifically

Starpilot Guest

Thank you Robert for looking into you manual for me... I also have a shop manual for my 56 and it also didn't mention....
    Perhaps I will tackle it this weekend if the snow here in NJ finally stops.

the other consideration would be to find the wire at the bottom of the column and attach a new piece of wire to it and feed it up through the column. Just be sure that there is a way to attach the new wire to the top of the horn switch before pulling the new wire in, otherwise you loose the old wire at the bottom also!!!

But before doing so try to be sure that the wire is the problem, maybe with an ohmeter or a circuit tester

Louis
    The wire runs down inside the steering column and is soldered to a brass plate at the bottom. A spring loaded wiper mounted on the bottom of the outer column rubs on this. Mine is loose from the plate and it looks like we both have a pain of a repair to do.

Starpilot Guest

How do we get at the plate to run a new wire????I looked briefly under the dash and I saw wires running out of the column, but I couldn't see how they were accessed. and

Do is there a need to remove the entire steering wheel. (I already have the ring removed.) Thinking removal of the steering wheel without a puller tool could be ackomplished by prying a screw driver under the wheel, caused me to crack off a very small piece of the column, so I don't want to try that approach again.

Louis
    You may need a puller to get the wheel off, try this put the nut back on just so all the threads are filled with the shaft (you need about 1/2" gap between the wheel and nut ) then pull on the wheel while rocking it side to side. It may pop loose and be stopped by the nut from hitting you in the face. There is a cover at the bottom of the column with a wire plugged in to it held on by two screws, remove it and you'll see the plate and wire soldered to it.

Starpilot Guest

Judd.. you are awesome.... thanks for the tips... I will try it exactly as you described...

I had put liquid wrench on the wheel a few weeks ago. I keep the car in a heated garage, but it is snowed in right now so after I get to it, I will post my results.

Thanks again - Louis

Starpilot Guest

I couldn't pull the steering wheel, but I did find the wire entry point at the base of the steering column. I removed the contact point at the base of the column and felt inside with my finger... I felt what seemed like a flat piece of copper that was loose.. I pulled the horn wire at the top of the column, where it connects to the horn ring, and I felt the that the wires were in fact one. But working with the contact point at the base of the steering proved too dificult for me... so unfortunitly, I screwed the base plate back on and merely left the wire which plugs into it, disonnected.

What about your yearly inspections in NJ...do they not require a functioning hor?