Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: power steering (?) ills

Heidigirl,

Your '56 sounds like a sweet ride. Does Your 98 have the "Starfire" Package.( Now that's a Blast from the Past) Not many Olds "C" Bodies around.

The 57 had a J-2 Package that had a Tri-Power set-up that is considered pretty rare.

Now that you are out of the closet.

How is it that You have acquired so much Knowledge and Experience regarding Buicks?

You are certainly Up on Things regarding Buicks and You Really Know Your Poo-Poo!

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

I go to a Cruise night here locally and every one in a while these two guys show up together.

Both '55's a Roadmaster Convert and a 98 Starfire Convert Both are Antique (Dover)( Off) White with Red Leather Interior.
    One nicer than the other.

I think that is quite a coincidence especially here in the North East.

Tom Gallagher

sergio Guest

Arrow

heidigirl, to me this sounds like a problem that is going to take more than a seal kit to repair. Let me explain. I just put in a new seal kit on my '63 Nailhead. The power steering pump is of a vane design. There are ten vanes in the little rotor. It takes hydraulic pressure from behind the vane to press it against the surface to produce flow. If the vanes or the surfaces are not smooth, the pump is going to make all sort of ugly noises. The reason it does make noise when the wheel is centered is the servo valve is wide open so the system is under very little pressure. Low pressure means that those vanes are getting the full punishment against the scored surfaces. If I were you, I would open up the pump and inspect it for excessive wear before wasting money. BTW, since you are a "garage engineer" I have a power steering pump, brackets, reservoir, and pressure hose listed on e-bay from a '75 Buick with a 455 just ready to drop in. I can cancel the auction if you are interested.

thanks for your input, sergio. you make a good point about the vane and rotor condition. i hadn't considered it. my pump is dead quiet on-center but groans as soon as i rotate the steering wheel the slightest amount, which seems to be a different condition than your statement. would this be a similar vane/rotor degradation problem as well? i have a 'pear' style pump as a spare, but i'm going to follow up on your idea of inspecting the oe piece that is on the car now. i'll post the results of the inspection. i did look for your ebay offering but didn't find it. where/how do you have it listed?

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hey Sergio,

You pretty much know Your POO_POO! as Well!
    Im amazed on how yo u are able to pick-up on thing and run with it. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Your into the big nails, and some of the expertice involved are beyond my field of "Expretice".

But through Your Insight I'm Learning and expanding my knowledge.

That's what we are ALL here for: To HELP! each other. [img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img]

Regards, [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Tom Gallagher

sergio Guest

Arrow

Thanks Tom and heidigirl. Listing # is 4530867067. Item description is GM POWER STEERING PUMP & HOSE. The auction is for the pear shaped pump. I can always send you the pump and you can try it out. Thanks, Sergio

sergio, your comments motivated me to tear down the pump. i discovered the reservoir screen to be completely clogged with a black substance which was very difficult to remove. this material was not in suspension and the fluid was surprisingly clear. a number of years ago, i made rubber seals that fit between the reservoir and pump, but my first impression is o'ring abrasion in the steering box may be responsible. my test drive proved the noises (symptoms) to be cleared up, but i don't believe the problem is resolved. i'm gonna hafta watch this for awhile.