Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power steering (?) ills

the power steering pump on my 56 groans if it is just the slightest bit off of dead center. it is very loud at parking lot speeds, but on the highway, i don't notice anything, due to either road noise or relatively little exertion on the system. also, it doesn't seem to exhibit this symtom when dead cold, but after being driven for 15 minutes or so, it wails like a lost calf looking for its mama. what are your thoughts on the required fix?

it sounds like it is or was low on fluid. probably need to replace the seals at the least and you might want to look at just swapping it out.

if it's full of fluid now and sqealing like that i'm sure the seals are shot although they may just have worn out due to age and miles.

does it also squeal when you turn the wheel all the way to the lock? is the car spotting when you park it?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

the reservoir is topped off. at full lock it squeals, but isn't that common of ps units? maybe i will just throw a seal kit at it. anybody have leads on such a kit?

it's normal for the pump to increase in volume slightly when you hit the lock. it's not normal for it to squeal.

sorry, i got no lead on parts or rebuild kits.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Lightbulb

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Heidigirl,

I regard to Power Steering Pumps and Kits:

You can try Straight Line Steering 800-832-2800

www.adantiqueautoparts.com
    www.texaspower.com

Hope this HELPS! You out
    [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img] Tom Gallagher [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

some pumps have a screen inside (around the inlet/outlet area) check to make sure the screen is clear, check belt tension, it's alittle hard to check pressure without a gauge.

Hi,
    squealing normally is a sign of either a slipping belt (very easy to determine) or a shot seal. (Wheras a whistling sound is a sign of air in the system due to low fluid - this sound does not necessarily vanish after filling the reservoir up as the air might still be trapped somewhere in the system...)

I would go by re-sealing the system, too. Tom Gallagher already mentioned two suppliers. There are more but as a rule, I personally would stick to Tom's recommendations [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Best regards
    Maikl

took another look at my problem. fluid level isn't low and it isn't squealing at full lock either. just a low groan when it is barely off center. found a place in nj that advertises pump kits for cadillacs. they are going to put a kit together for me and i'll post on vendor performance when its appropriate.

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hey Heidigirl

How U Doin'

How did You make out with that Steering Pump?

Inquiring Minds want to know.

Just curious since I also have a '56. I have a 46R.

What model are You crusing around in?

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

i promised to post my findings, but so far, no joy. let me climb up on my soapbox and whine just a little bit here.
    i contacted an ebay vendor in atlantic city for a repair kit and placed my order per their instructions. paid them via paypal services. this was outside of the ebay environment and their asking price was slightly higher than their ebay opening price. after several days of no response from them, my follow up contact with them elicited "we have no record of your order" so i canceled the order. a week or so later, the item showed up on ebay and i bid the opening price with about 2 hours left in the auction. at this point, i was the lead and sole bidder for the item. with seconds to go, i got outbid for just about what they were originally asking. can't complain too much, because i have bid on items this way myself, but i am suspicious. thanks for letting me rant.

anyway, you asked about my ride, so now i gotta consider myself officially busted. my buick is a 1956 olds 98 2dr hardtop. it's still gm, right? white over turquoise, american mags with garage engineering 4 wheel disc brakes.