From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lowering a 56

Don't know if this helps but I saw drop springs for a 1955 Special on ebay. They might fit a 56 or the company might make the right ones to fit a 56. The company was Coil Spring Specialties in St Mary's KS. Hope this helps.

Rob
    1955 Buick Special 2dr HT

Thank's Rob

For forwarding to Us this Valued information.

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Hey guys, thanks for the input, much appreciated!
    The chassis is all cleaned and painted with POR15 which was my big xmas mission (phew), but due to limited space the bodys gotta go back on pronto. I only need to worry about the rear for now as the fronts totally exposed with the body back on. I'm gonna get a some shorter springs made up but what about shocks - what do you guys recommend? I wanna get the ****** low in the back - taildragger...
    1956 Century 66R

I read this whole thread biting my fingernails as I also just lowered my 56 Super but with FATMAN dropped uprights. They are beefier than the stock uprights and made of I beleive cold rolled steal with monster welds. I seem to have no problems as of yet. I will keep you guys informed.

lowering

on another thread about lowering, I just posted Jamco's web page. They custom made me 3" lower coils with a 30% increase in rate. I had the rear shocks rebuilt a little stiffer. Eaton won't do 3" Go to Jamco they know lowering, it's their thing. Usually your 50 year old springs are sagging an inch, so 3" will only get you 2. mine weren't sagging and I went 3" in the rear front is still stock I got the tail dragger stance without ground clearance problems and it handles great. ~T~

Hey tbone
    any chance of some pics? 3" in back, stock in front? sounds good, love that taildragging look. What about shocks?
    Your colour scheme and wheel choice sounds similar to my plans but I'm in NZ so probably wont run into each other....
    1956 Century 66R

NZ lowering

My shocks are rebuilt stock, built a little stiffer for a race application. The 3" coils are 30% increase in rate as recomended by the pro's at Jamco. I had them make coils 3" shorter and 30% increase in rate for the front also, and intend to use the stock shocks up front also. Don't want to modify too far from stock, but lower the center of gravity and the original spring rate was to soft for todays roads. It handles much better. I run ww radials also. Also for those of you talking drop spindles and front end kits, Jamco makes them also and I got alot of praise from customers. ~T~

Question Lowering Shocks

Hey T-Bone

With the car lowerer 3" just how close are the shocks to be bottoming out?

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

lowering

I lowered my 51 with 3" shorter springs from Jamco, with a 30% increase in rate. I did the front and liked the taildragger look with the stock front stock. But the move to lower the front equally (3") same rate, was a good one as now it handles excellent, and corners flat, and I actually like the look better. Stock shocks, with 3" lower springs, radial tires, aligns perfect and I can let go of the wheel and it goes straight down the road. I still dont bottom out, shocks or body and rides great, and looks good. ~T~