Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.

Thread: 1.6 nailhead rocker ID

Y'all
    Is there a casting number I can ID the 1.6 ratio nailhead rockers with? I'm thinking of just using the stock cam Isky light weight retainers and 1.6 rockers on my 56 so I don't have to remove the AC bracket to adjust solid lifters all the time. Any body think I really need the extra Isky inner spring I have with this set up?

Mel Palmer Guest

Judd let me know how you are making out, doing the same mods has you are planning, only I am using edelbrock 600cfm Edelbrock.Are you planning dto do any suspension upgrades? Thanks Mel.

This may not be much help...

The Hollander show two basic rocker arm assemblies for the nailhead. One fits '53 to '58 and the other '59 to '66. So, while there are no numbers, it would be reasonable to suggest that you want a set from the later series.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Bob
    Thanks for the info. I was told the 1.6 are alluminum also.

Mel
    I will drop front some day way in the future and use heavy drop rear springs. I have Weiand 3x2 to install and run dual exhaust with glass packs.

Well, I don't know what the difference is between the early and the late rockers assemblies are, but if the 1.6 is aluminum, then they are aftermarket. Maybe someone else can tell you if anything other than 1.5 was ever offered as original equipment.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Bob
    I was told Buick switched to 1.6 ratio about 59 or so an all motors and the first year was steel but the rest were alluminum from the factory? The claim is you can get a little more lift on 56 322 by useing the late rockers?

I am surprised no one who knows has jumped in to solve this! A logical break in the production for such a change is '59. I have a '65 401 outside my shop. I will try to have a look under a cover tonight.

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hey Judd,

I saw your posts in regard to the Rockers and the Offey 3x2 Set-up and upgrading the Cam. There are different schools of thought concerning this Subject, and all conflicting. I was also told about doing some of the same mods and was told I would loose Torque. I also have a '56
    I would e-mail a nailheader by the name of Tom Todesco telriv@yahoo.com he has his own nailhead speed shop in Stamford, ct. He will be able to get you the breakdown on the whole thing?
    Let Me Know how You make-out, since I want to do the same thing. Personally I can't envision a cam and that hot L@@KING 3x2 offey and loosing torque. I was told not to go with an exhaust system larger than 2 inches otherwise the motor would not have enough backpressure and that would cause me to loose torque. Anyway. Tom is a Great Guy , he will answer your questions and set you straight and HELP! You out anyway he can. He also knows where to get all sorts of stuff we never heard of or knew it even existed, Have a fun time with You Project. Just remember to keep the Shiny Side up and the Rubber Down. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img] Tom Gallagher [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861