263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Rocker shaft holes

Question

Hello everyone,
    I think I may have installed my rocker shafts incorrectly . I pulled my valve covers & little or no oil is seeping from the rocker arms.There is oil on the head & I do have oil pressure.The push rods are mostly dry except for assembly lube.On one side of the shaft there are 4 holes for the mounting bolts.On the other side in addition to the mounting bolt holes there are smaller holes for the passage of oil.I can't find a pic in my shop manual or chilton's manual.
    Does anyone know which side of the shaft should be in the up position? I installed the shafts with the sides with the most holes in the down position.This is a V-8 264 engine.As always,I am thanking you in advance for your responses.
    iddie

According to my '57 shop manual, the oil holes shoulg be on the bottom. I would expect it to be the same for all "nailheads".

5. Install bolts with plain washers through brackets and shaft so that the notch on one end of the shaft is upward in line with the bolt heads. This places the oil holes on lower side of shoft in proper relationship to rocker arms.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

bob,
    Thank you very much for your quick response & helpful answer.I definitely have them on the bottom.Maybe I need to run it more and wait for the assembly lube to clear out.
    iddie