Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about...

I may be selling my Green Goddess (64 LeSabre Sedan) and getting a 56 Super Sedan. I will be going to check it out this weekend. Is there anything special that I should pay close attention to when looking at it other than the standard things like frame, body condition, etc. How will I know what is an option, and what was standard equipment?

Jim.
    When standing knee deep in water with alligators nipping at your backside, it's difficult to remind yourself that your initial project was to drain the swamp.

BCA #40621
    64 Wildcat Ragtop - 64 LeSabre 4-Door Sedan

Thumbs up

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hi Jim

a'56 Super, Nice Ride. It has a 322 Nailhead. Optional Equipment. Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dynaflow Transmission, Dual Exhaust. You should have a Two-Tone Interior. I will have an impressive Dash. Make sure Everything is in working order and everything is present. Body rot is a problem to look for. Particular areas to check. The quarter Panels in front of the wheels and the Rockers. Make sure you look underneath, floorboard rot is an issue. make sure you check above the massive 3 foot mufflers and around the exhaust system in general those areas rust out first, also the trunk. I hope everything works out in you favor [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img] Tom Gallagher [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Thank you for your words to the wise. I'll do exactly that, and make sure everyting is within reason. The Car I am told is Gun-Metal Gray with a white top. It is a 4-door Sedan, not HT. It has Red and black interior. It has power steering, Power brakes, single exhaust (that will be changed right away), and it starts, and runs but won't stop. Needs complete brake overhaul. It supposedly was a daily driver until the brakes went, then to the barn it went. It has some surface rust as do all barn cars of that age, but I'm told there is no rot...I'll check anyway I have even gone so far as to print out this thread, and will make sure I do in fact give it the once over. Hmmm, now I guess I'll have the Gray Goddess? [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

I'll let you know how it went Monday.

Jim.
    When standing knee deep in water with alligators nipping at your backside, it's difficult to remind yourself that your initial project was to drain the swamp.

BCA #40621

Thumbs up

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hey Jim,

The Red and Black is a Nice color Sceme. I have the same Color Interior in my '56. As for the Dual Exhaust. The Single Exhaust has a Strange Set-up. To make it dual the easyest and simplest method is Remove the current manifolds and install the Manifolds from a dual set-up and everything will fit into place pretty straight-forward.
    Every car has it's Achilles-Heal. with the '56 it happens to be the braking system. Buicks at that time had notorious poor brakes and they tried to improve them. it didn't get straightened out untill 58 with the use of the finned aluminum brake drum. Anyway the '56 is a mondrel year a one year wonder. Master cylinder rebuild kits are hard to find and having them rebuilt is very costly and finding someone to do it is even harder. One in a while you see them on e-bay. Make sure it is for a Power Brake unit. It may be a brake in the line. You can get stainless lines from inline tube that fit like a glove or it could be a wheel cylinder. You can still get them from Napa or one of the other chains after 48 years. But You do need Brakes to stop 2 1/2 tons of Buick. The Nailhead 322 weights about635lb the Dynaflow is cast Iron and probably tips the scales at about 500. the'56 has Coil Springs on all 4 corners buick was one of the only automakers who used coils in the rear, giving the famous Buick Ride. and You will be quite surprised that the 56 has an enclosed drivshaft which is called a Torque Tube and you can't help but notice what a sturdy set-up it has. it also has an X frame. you are getting one rugged well constructed vehicle. You can also do some tricks to the 322. 56 was the best and last year for the 322. the heads are different the 54's had 200 hp the 56 255 hp. The 322 was put in chevy and gmc tandem wheeled trucks. It was the only motor that had enough torque. the nail is strong, quiet, dependable, durable and pretty much bullet proof. You will also love the push pedal start that is really sweet Nostalgic Unique system. very singular.
    If there is anything else you need to know, give me a shout. also some of the sedans came with an optional Heater Under the Rear seat another neat feature. look for leaks and or rust in that area. Hope that your findings are satisfactory [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

By the way Jim the 64 Wildcat is another one of my favorates. How is She treating You?

Tom Gallagher

She is all apart at the Restoration Garage. I have been buying options for it since I bought it. The only options it had when I bought it was power top, Steering, and brakes. As it sits now it has the following options...

Power Antenna
    Power Windows
    Power Vent windows
    Power Seats
    Power Top
    Power Steering
    Power Brakes
    Guidematic Automatic Headlight dimmer
    Cruise Control
    Factory Air
    Floor shift with console
    Tachometer in the console
    Inside Trunk Release
    Chrome Mag Rims
    Tri-Tone Horns
    140mph Speedometer
    425cid with Quardrajet (got that from a 66 Riv)
    Solar Ray tinted Windows

I don't think I forgot anything I already have, but I am also working on...

Tilt Column
    Tissue Dispenser
    Cornering Lights
    Deluxe Seat Belts (large chrome ones with Buick Tri-Shield)

She should be pretty sweet when she is done.

Originally posted by Tom Gallagher:
    By the way Jim the 64 Wildcat is another one of my favorates. How is She treating You?

Tom Gallagher

BCA #40621

Thumbs up

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Jim,
    Where have you been picking up all the parts. Whealtbelt Buick? The Buick Bonery?
    Your making a nice car even better. I remember the Cornering Lights, mounted in the front fenders. Not too too many cars had that option.
    I saw the pictures of the floorboards...Woah!!!
    they were in real nasty shape.
    [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] The console is a real nice addition. Did someone have a donor car someware and you were able to get a hold or a 425.
    Sounds pretty much like your jacking up the ashtray and putting a new car underneath. I guess you don't have must spare time. I'm sure that it will be well worth it in the end. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Well, I had orignaly bought a Wildcat Custom Sport coupe that I was going to restore. It was loaded with most of the options. As it turned out, it was in worse shape than what was represented (go figure on EBay) [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] At any rate, I wound up using it for parts because I found the convertible one week before I was supposed to go and pick up the Hard Top. Myself and my mechanic decided it would be cheaper to redo the convertible and strip the hard top. Also a Fully loaded convertible would be worth a little more than a fully loaded sport coupe. So far the only options I have had to buy are the Cruise control, Tachometer, and the 140mph speedometer. The hardtop had a 425 in it with AFB so I got an intake from a 66 Riviera so I could convert to Quadrajet. That according to the mechanic combined with shorty headers and a TA-25 Camshaft from TA Performance will give me nearly the same power as the dual quad setup.

BCA #40621

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Jim;
    Headers for full size buicks are hard to come-by although pleny of them around for the Gran Sports. None around for the 322. they have to be custom made. Believe me I'm not expert, but the nail is designed different than other motors. with the 322, I have been told not to get larger pipes, and to stay with the stock 2 inch otherwise back pressure is lost and you could loose some torque. I don't know if that's true with the big brother 425. I think the dual quads still had stock 2' exhaust. Members who are into Racing Nailheads could give you the whole scoop. Some of those Guys are REALLY SERIOUS and get pretty technical. There is Nothing like a Nailhead all dressed up. Finned Aluminum Valve and Spark Plug Covers, Valley Pan and a Polished Intake is the (Wild) Cat's Meow. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Question

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Jim!

Just curious, How did You make-out with the '56 Super Sedan? Quite the Land Yacht. Like taking a ride in you living room.