- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RE: Water on Distributor

Question

[img]redface.gif[/img]

Fellow Buick Enthusiasts.

Have Any Other Mid-Fifty's Buick owners notice that when You open and raise the Hood, when it is Raining or Moisture and Dew covered the water runs down and funnells at the Rear Hood Opening, and Pours directly on the Distributor.
    Does Anyone know a Fix for This Problem? IF a Plactic Bag was uses to cover the Distributor it would keep water and moisture out, but I would imagine the heat of the motor would melt the plastic and create a Bigger Mess.

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Tom Gallagher [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Hello Tom,
    I understand what you're saying,but have no sure cure.When I washed mine after finally getting it out of the garage,I opened the hood before drying it off and water went all over the engine compartment.From here on out I'll dry it off prior to opening the hood.

I also need to rebuild my carburetor but haven't gotten up the nerve yet.Talk with you later.
    iddie

Thumbs up

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hey, Iddie, How Ya' Do'in

I just received some Information on the Nailhead Board on Yahoo, the ford has a Rubber Snap on Cap for their 8 Cylinders made from 88 and UP. I have to find out more Information about it. I don't know if it will fit, or if it needs some Modification. To tell You the Truth, I have never even looked under the hood of a ford, commonly referred to as the " F " Word in My House, My Father was a 35 Year Employee of General Motors at the Linden, NJ. Plant and I have Spent 31+ Years Hauling GM CARs.
    I'm about to do a carb rebuild Myself. I got a Daytona Kit. I have a Carter 2400s 2 Barrel.
    I have looked at the diagram. 54 Pieces Total. There are probably 16-20 parts to replace including gaskets. I have the Carb off the car. I will have to take it completely apart and clean it with carb cleaner, Lacquer Thinner and clean up with a Dremmel with a wire brush attachment.
    On the Diagram all the parts are numbered. I should get a couple of egg cartons and number them to put the corresponding small parts in.
    Before I take it apart, I want to take plent of pictures to refresh the memory on how the carb Should L@@K ( LOL ). [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
    In the meantime I'm trying to finish up on the new stainless fuel line along with a newly refurbished tank I did with a Por-15 Kit. Today when hooking up the Fuel line, the Bottom of the Dual Action Fuel Pump L@@KS Pretty Sorry and there are Significant Signs of Corrosion, So I have some More work in store for me. Then car needs a new Dual Exhaust System.
    How are You making out with YOUR BUICK? Where You able to take her out for another Spin? I hope your future work does Not Involve any Furthur Complications. You have had More than Your fair share of problems. You have put a LOT of Blood, Sweat & Tears into that Buick of Yours, and You should be Commended for Your Hard Work and Dilligence [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
    I will catch up with You Later

Tom Gallagher [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]

Hello Tom,
    I have not taken a real spin because I have a few issues I need to address .My carburetor is a two barrel Carter but I don't know if it's a 2400.It seeps a little gas onto the intake and I'm a little leery of it.I'm also trying to learn the proper adjustments for timing so I need the carburetor,even though I guess the carb.should be in tip top shape in order to get good results.I've learned a lot while pursuing this hobby,and I've got a long way to go,with lots of stuff to do.I'm just happy that the members of this forum are gracious & fantastically helpful.Talk with you later.

Thumbs up

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hey Eddie

I saw a picture of the Ford Rubber Boot. It completely covers the Distributor and has an Exit Spout where the Wires go through. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Tom Gallagher

testing images!
    Last edited by rcull; 03-29-2006 at 07:41 PM.

Water on the Distributor

I recall when new they had a sheet of Masticated rubber that attached to the fire wall, and hung over the distributor. Masticated rubber is like the rubber you find around the front suspension to keep water out of the engine compartment. I have seen it advertised thru Restoration Specialties and Supply Co www.restorationspecialties.com listed under roll rubber matting.

Thumbs up Rubber

Hey Straight Eight

Thanks for Sharing and Forwarding to US the Valued Information

You had to have dig back far and deep to reactivate this post

I'm glad You did.

I couldn't bear the thought of be-littleing myself of having to use one of Henry's Freekin' Ford Products (Rubber Snap-On Boot)on MY BUICK.

I hate Fords Like God hates Sin

Buick

First in Styling
    First in Comfort
    First in Performance

Regards,

Tom Gallagher

Hey Tom,
    would you mind telling me where you got your carb.rebuild kit?I also have a Carter 2 barrel,and the number on the brass thingy is 2179S.I finally got the engine out ,and will attempt to rebuild the carb.
    iddie

Iddie, Napa carries rebuild kits for those carbs..

Thumbs up Carb Kits

Hey Iddie

Napa carries the Carter rebuild kits.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher