From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: Help with my new 56

Hi from New Zealand! Just purchased my first Buick - a 56 Century 2dr Hardtop, 95% complete, original and rust free, apart from no motor and trans. The car was imported here in 89 and has sat in storage ever since and its in great shape! There are a ton of questions I'll be asking, but I'll start with these -
    What engine do you guys recommend? I believe its originally a 322/Dynaflow? These may be hard to track down in NZ and shipping one could be costly.

Also, the decoding of the VIN and the numbers on the firewall plate -
    6C2034056
    1956MOD
    Style No 4637
    Body No BC4003
    Trim No 633
    Paint No AMM
    TOP ACC66R

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Cheers
    Matt
    1956 Century 66R

Matt,
    Welcome aboard ! I would think the best thing to do is going to depend on which engines are available to you. Small Block Chevy engines seem to be the most popular almost anywhere, so that would be my first guess. It should be fairly easy to swap in a 350 Chevy with a matching automatic transmission. Best thing to do, no matter what engine you decide on, would be to find a "donor" car so that you can get all the brackets, pulleys, motor mounts etc.
    Hope this helps,
    Bill Koustenis
    Advanced Automotive Machine
    Waldorf Md

Original owner:
    1971 Chevelle Heavy Chevy
    1984 Buick Riviera
    1999 Chevy Tahoe 2DR 4WD

Enginerepairshop.com

Ok, I may have scored a Buick 350 and auto, supposedly out of a mid 70's Buick. Reckon this would slot into the 56 easily? The 56 appears original from the driveshaft back. Would this be good move?
    Cheers
    Matt
    1956 Century 66R

Mat
    You'll have to move to open drive shaft unless you use 53 to 59 nailhead trans the 54 to 56 Special Century would be a bolt in. Check for the steering box clearance.
    first number 6+ Century, C= 1956, 2= built at South Gate plant, the rest is production number looks like early production number. Does the grille below the hood air plane have open slots or is it solid with black painted slots?
    Trim # 633 is black and red interior
    paint AMM is black top with red body
    Judd

Does the grille below the hood air plane have open slots or is it solid with black painted slots?
    Open slots. Is the mid 70s 350 still called a nailhead?
    1956 Century 66R

Matt

Your car is early 56 production they stopped the open slots because of complaints about trash comming in through them. The Nailhead was produced from 1953 to 1966 with changes in trans bolt pattern and exhaust port shape in 1957.

Judd

So do you guys think the 70's Buick 350 would be better than a small block Chev?
    Or should I try and get a Nailhead and keep it as close to original as possible? Again, this could be hard in NZ.
    Cheers
    1956 Century 66R

While I don't think you need to keep it close to original, personally, I do like to see a [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img] Buick in a Buick [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img] . You could consider a nailhead all the way up to a second generation 455. The sbc is a lot more economical to build, but everybody has one. [img]smile.gif[/img]

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!