Thread: engine rebuild thoughts

Question

Hello everyone,
    Some of you will remember helping me through the process of pulling and tearing down my first engine project.You will probably remember that I wimped out and decided to let someone else rebuild the engine.Well,to make a long story short,the retired machinist that was recommended by the Buick club president has still not completed my engine rebuild.(I watched him put the crank,pistons,etc.into the block back in November).I am wondering if there is going to be a problem with rusty parts since the engine has been sitting in the man's shop for months.Please give me your thoughts.Also,should I continue to wait,or should I go get my engine and parts,and rethink my position? Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
    Iddie [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

If he has put the crank, pistons back in the engine, the machineing and fitting for the major components must be done. About all that is left is cam, heads and accessories. The heads would need attention to guides, seats and valves, but if that is done, all that you need is final assembly. You could to do that yourself, with the aid of a torque wrench. You might ask him if he has done the heads, and if he has and is finding himself short of time, suggest you feel up to the challenge of the final assembly.

I think I would feel confident that the fellow has assembled the engine components properly, so all bearing surfaces would have been lubed. Being it is in a shop, even if it is only heated occasionally, rust shouldn't be a problem.

Give him a call and ask what his time frame is and tell him you are getting anxious. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hello shoprat,
    Thanks for responding.I did talk by phone with the machinist on saturday,and he said he might have it done by the end of February.I did see the block and crank after the machine shop work.After talking with him on Saturday I detected a tone that I had not experienced from him previously.He did say that he had bolted on one head,and I guess I just can't understand why it would take him an entire month to assemble the other head.Thanks again.