From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: bolt in engines?

Question

Hello everyone,
    my '55 engine continues to be rebuilt.since I have been down for a while I am wondering if any other engines will bolt right in to my car.('55 special 264 with 3 speed).I am thinking about trying to find a backup engine.Thanks in advance for your responses.

Iddie
    My 56 shop manual suppliment shows 56 322 as factory replacement for all 53 to 56 cars except the 53 to 55 with syncromesh transmission? The bell housing pattern should be the same , it may be a difference in the rear of the crankshaft pilot bushing? Not shure if the 53 to 55 syncromesh crank is different maybe some one here has parts book to compare 55 Dynaflow crank with 55 syncromesh crank. I think the 53 to 55 Specials have a smaller bell and trans than the Bigger cars and the 56 Special.

Judd

Hello Judd,
    Thanks for the information.Have you completed your engine rebuild?I'm still waiting on the retired machinist to complete mine.
    iddie

Iddie

No progress here on motor other than chrome valley pan and water cross over. I'm thinking about adding Isky valve springs to a good set of heads I have and adding the cam, heads, and chrome stuff to the motor in the car. I am about to strip the body and do paint and body work that will keep my occupied till spring. I wonder if a 322 would fit your car if you used the 322 flywheel, bellhousing and pilot bushing?

Judd

Judd,
    I don't know if the 322 would fit.remember I'm the shadetree who had to ask you guys for help in pulling my 264.I sure would like to find another engine that is in good condition'and would bolt right in so I wouldn't have to go through this waiting again.Talk to you later.
    iddie

johnny Guest

so is that to say a 53 special can bolt in a 55 nailhead? would some one be kind enough to post all possible bolt in options for buicks? ok thats a large request, but if someone did they'd be my new hero!

Johnny
    Not sure about the strait eight conversion on a 53, interesting question though. I wonder does the 53 Special share its frame with any of the V8 53 models so the motor mounts could be used, is the strait eight bell housing pattern the same?
    I think you could swap bellhousings on the Dynaflow to mount V8 if pattern is different on the strait eight, but I think the syncromesh trans has smaller pattern than 322" trans?
    Judd