From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: 264 auto.engine into 264 manual trans.car

Lightbulb

Hello everyone,
    I'm back to bother you with more requests for your thoughts.I spoke with a man who says he has a good running engine in a '55 special.His is an automatic and mine is standard.I'm going to look and listen Sunday.my question is,will the 264 automatic work in my 264 manual with minor modifictions or is this just wishful thinking on my part?His car is for parts or restoration,and I'm thinking that I would like to have an engine in my car while I'm waiting to rebuild my original engine.When you guys get a chance,would you let me know your thoughts?Thank you.Hey Judd,how is your rebuild coming along?
    iddie

I don't remember for sure,but isn't the pilot bearing for the front of the input shaft in the flywheel? If it is you can use the enhgine from a dynaflow. It has been a LOOOONG time since I had one of those combos apart, and my memory is hazy.
    Joe T
    37Buick coupe /455 powered
    40 Super convert
    72 GS455 convert 13.0/105
    69 Buick Sportwagon
    92 Road,aster wagon
    04 Rendezvous

Good morning to theoldguy,
    Thanks for the help.I have read that there is a pilot bearing in my flywheel.I'll have to take a look.
    iddie

hello to theoldguy,
    I see something on the end of the crankshaft that looks like it may be a bearing of some sort.I don't know how I would ever get it out of there.I didn't see anything on the flywheel.Are you saying that the pilot bearing would have to be removed for the automatic engine to be installed?
    iddie

Iddie
    On all the cars I've seen you just get a pilot bearing ( brass dougnut ) and put it in the rear of the crankshaft. Kanter has them for $12 at www.kanter.com or 1-800-526-1096 . My rebuild is on hold till after I get back from vacation in two weeks.
    Judd

The pilot bearing does not need to come out to run the Dynaflow, but you must have it in place to run the manual trans.
    Joe T
    37Buick coupe /455 powered
    40 Super convert
    72 GS455 convert 13.0/105
    69 Buick Sportwagon
    92 Road,aster wagon
    04 Rendezvous

Hello Judd &theoldguy,
    Thanks for clearing up that pilot bearing concern for me.Judd,hope you have a great vacation.To both of you,Thanks again for taking the time to help me gain a better understanding of this engine.I sure wish I could find a good engine so I could get back on the road,and get my original engine rebuilt later.
    iddie