Thread: Hard Steering 1952 Buick Roadmaster

jc Guest

I am restoring a 1952 Roadmaster, straight 8, 6 volt. My car is extremely hard to steer. I've had the car since 1979, drove it regularly and never had a problem with steering. I kept the car in storage for several years, brought it to Denver, Co where I am in the process of restoring it. After having several things done to it to include engine rebuild, transmission overhaul, and new King Pins it is now very difficult to steer. The wheels will turn freely when elevated but when placed on the ground it is very difficult to turn the wheels. There appears to be a power steering gear-box on the steering column but there is no provision for a 2nd pulley or a place to mount the fluid reservoir note. the power steering was optional on this year. I can only surmise that something has been done somewhere in the process of repairing/restoring the car (King Pins, transmission, etc.) that something has been done incorrectly. I need help from some source (human or literature) who knows and/or can provide some information about my problem. Any ideas? I would appreciate any help that you can give me. Jack Choice (303) 756-4008.

I too am working on a '52 Roadmaster. There are pictures in the "show and shine" which show the power steering.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!