Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre 1950 Owners Report in Please

Thumbs up

I noticed that this section of the site gets very little use. Maybe there is a good reason for that. Maybe there are not too many pre 50 owners visiting Buicks.net.
    However,I thought it maybe good to know who here is a pre 50 owner and a little bit of what you own. stock, rodded, what modifications you have made etc. etc. If this has been done before than my apologies, however if not I'll be the first to start.

I have a 1939 Century 4dr. Sedan. I have owned it for only about a year. It is a mostly stock straight 8, except for being converted to 12 volt and the previous owner put an electronic ignition system in it. It also has 53 skylark wire wheels on it. It has the original drivetrain in it which I think I would like to upgrade, or at least improve the brakes somehow. My wife and I have enjoyed the old Buick in the short time that we have owned it and are looking forward to more fun with it in the near futue.

OK next batter up; Tell us about your pre 50.
    Joe-(39 Century)

Remember it takes approximately 3500 bolts to build a Buick and only 1 Nut to spread them all over the highway"

I have also noticed that there is very little action here in the pre-1950 forum. I occassionally look over here, but since there's hardly ever a post I don't give it the attention that other forums get.

I have a 1936 Special 4dr sedan. I bought it from the estate of the original owner's grandson. It's not running yet (sson I hope), but is a 100% complete Arizona car. I'm trying to keep an online journal of the project:

My Buick

Would love to hear from other 36 owners.
    Gregory Roselle<br />BCA #41009<br />AACA<br /><br />1936 Buick Special<br />1959 Chevy Fleetside truck<br />1982 Mercedes Benz 300TD<br /><br /><a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~gtroselle/" target="_blank">http://home.earthlink.net/~gtroselle/</a>

Bernard Guest

I have just had the last reservations removed by an apopraiser for the purchase of a stock, 40,000-mile '49 Super, which Bride and I are going to drive home from Washington State to Florida. I expect I'll get to know the car rather well that week . . . and I'll have a bushel basket-full of questions for you experts.

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hey Guys

Most of the conversation regarding the Pre-50's vintage Buicks seems to be in the Straight 8 Forum.

I just love those older Buicks with the Dual Sidemounts.

Very Distinctive.

I believe that only Buicks, Caddy's and Packards had them.

Regards [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img] Tom Gallagher [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Bernard Guest

r.e. sidemounts: Dusenburg? Some Lincolns?

zach36 Guest

1936 specail

i was lucky enought to come upon an old 36 4 dr special about 8 months ago that was sitting in an old barn and jumped at the oppurtunity to buy it....its not running yet....but its almost all there to get er goin......i have since done a bunch of body work to get to be a decent lookin ridde agian one of these days.............i got the dual side mounts on here and everything..........

junkyard_dawg Guest

49 Super 4dr

I own a 49 Super sedan that I purchased my freshman year in high school (84),drove it through school.college,marriage,and children caused me to put it in storage until now.plan on doing a frame up starting this winter.the car is stock,but i have plans to do some updates.I plan to do a trans swap to either a 700R4 or 4L60E trans.also switching to 12 volt system.I love the straight eight although I would like to do some performance upgrades to achieve a little more power.

I am new to this list,love what I have seen so far

pre 50

joe you are not alone,i have a 41 century model 61 and it is bone stock except for 49 and later insert rods and radials.i have 3.9 gears it cruises nice at 70.i always liked the style of the 39,my grandfather had a 39 special sedan and it was a great ride.from 1936 on it was common knowledge in the general motors engineering staff the buicks were the fastest .even cadillac brass grudgingly admitted the v8 cad was no match for the senior buicks.most specials had the 4.4 ratio and it took a lot of rpm`s to go,but they could still measure up with most low and medium priced cars,if you found one with 3.9 gears then no problem.good luck with your buick JB
    jb

Model41man Guest

'49 special model 41 4dr

I purchased my prize last spring in Staunton, IL. Saw it on the internet, and bought it after a 6 mile test cruz'. I think it'll make an excellent daily driver dispite there are only a few left (6 known according to the BCA). I called the previous owner (from Texas) and got the whole history on it and an offer to buy it back!! It's all original except it's tires and peeling clearcoat applied by the quality professionals @ maaco!! I'm such a fan can ya tell! Anyway it has 52,000 and runs like a top except for the cracked exhaust manifold. I just bought a complete dual intake set-up for a song. I am buying a bolt up front disc set-up in about a month. A new paint job is coming next spring (2007) then an interior. I figuire a new car costs about $30,000 and I have 1/2 that in my buick and it has no computer, no sensors to deal with. Just good ol' fashioned quality american iron, that is, when there was some.

'46 Roadmaster

Funny, I never realized there was a forum for pre-50 tech!
    I've got a 1946 Buick Roadmaster Sedanet 76-S, which is a "rodstoration" project. It was originally purchased by a lady who owned a dairy farm in New York (state). It had been parked in the 70's and was imported to Finland in 1988 as a total project. I traded it for a boat in 1997, and have been working on it since 1999. It is now running but not finished.