Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre 1950 Owners Report in Please

I bought a '37 Special last fall. It's a real bucket but I got it for $550, I figured I could part it out for more than that if I decided not to keep it.

The engine and tranny were junk, found a '36 engine and tranny. Found a great deal on a rebuilt '40 engine and tranny, front and rear suspension and five like new www tires. Sold the '36 engine, kept the '36 transmission.

Bought a rotisserie so I can blast the body and do underside repairs. Before I could mount it on the rotisserie I had to redo the trunk area:

Next I have to reinforce the front door posts because they're in rough shape, and then mount on the rotisserie.

I am not building a show car, just something cool looking to cruise around in. I am trying to keep it as close to stock as possible but will upgrade to a 12 volt system. Right now we're considering a dark red as a color.

Always liked the '37s. Glad you're keeping the straight 8.

Hot Rod

If you like yuor Buick 8's different check out

Anything new from the straight 8 hot rodders?

see post 375.

49 & 52

Hi,

I've got a '49 Super Model 51 as well as a '52 Super Model 52.

The '49 is a US car with Dynaflow that has been recently imported and resprayed & reupholstered. The '52 is a South African 3 speed that was imported into the UK in 1984.

We use both our cars as wedding cars (check my profile for pics) and I'm slowly working through them fixing and improving as I go.

Thanks,

Andy

49 super 51 series

Just got my hands on a 49 super 4 door sedan with dynaflow trans. Should be a fun project. My first in 20 yrs.! First car was a 65 electra 225. The super is 100% complete and matching numbers.
    Thought i could turn her over this weekend, but alas...fuel pump is toast
    I'll post pics & progress asap.

1938 Buick Special Transmission Overhaul

Does anyone have experience rebuilding a standard transmission of a 1938 Buick Special? I'm in the process of doing this and have been able to get many of my parts (gaskets, shims, bearings,seals etc.)from Bob's Automobilia. The gears and shafts are in good condition and don't need to be replaced. However, I need the 2nd gear and high gear synchronizer drums (cones). Bob's has some used ones but I looking for N.O.S. or rebuilt ones. My Shop Manual says that these two synchronizers are the same but I've been told by one source that they are different. The ones that came out of my transmission appear to be the same.

Does anyone know for sure the specifications (or part numbers) or know of a source for these synchronizers?

38 trans

Finding syncros for the old trannys is tough. They wear quickly. I never could look at one and determine if it would work properly. The syncro in the large series trans looks the same for a 38 and a 41(these are the two that I've Built). Dave Tacheny at 763/427-3460 is best source that I know for 38 parts. My E-mail RPMINIS@COMCAST.NET if I can help. I don't read the forums often

Anyone else have a 46 4 door ??

Hi all,

I'm in Sri Lanka and I bought a 46 Super 4 door a few days back.

It's a very old restoration and was not in drivable condition when I got it but I had it started and running within a few days... just that it had not been started for years.

Now I drive it daily and attend to all the issues it has.

I am looking for fellow members who have similar cars to mine (1946 4 door)
    Someone who can help me identify stuff.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out how the battery should be correctly mounted under the front right hand seat... mine has been fitted with a crude home made tray and there is no way to secure the battery. It just floats around in there.

41 vin no

I have a 1941 sedanet which i've sold to a gentleman in Gernany and it was discovered that the vin no on the title is the engine no. my research has uncovered that some car co's used the engine no as the vin. is this the case with this 41 ? I cannot locate any no. on the frame. what appears on the passenger side cowl is a plate with the embossed no of
    24-070707, preceded by the buick script

Motor manual states the the plate you found is indeed the serial number. But they say that the number should be 2-4070707; the '2' is for California manufacture, the 4070707 is in the middle of a run from 3892008 to 4245877 for 1941 production.