Thread: CONVERTABLE TOPS IN DETROIT AREA

74 LeSabre Drop-top Guest

Question

Question: Has anyone had any favorable experince have a convertable top replaced in the Gretaer Detroit Michigan area?? [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]

While I am not familiar with auto trim shops in your area, I suggest that you look for the "Certified Master Craftsman" certificate posted in the shop. That is usually an indication that you will get a good job.
    With regards to your particular convertible, there is one thing that you should always check before installing a new convertible top. On the scissor frame there are 12 bushings that have a tendency to wear out. If there is any sloppiness in the frame when you put it up and down, for instance if the top flops one direction or the other when it is going up or down and you can see where gravity is moving the frame rather than the motors, you probably need to replace the bushings. If you put the top on without replacing them, you will end up with wrinkles that keep coming back no matter what you do, and you stand a very good chance of breaking the rear glass window when you put the top down. The bushing kit can be had for around $65 and is an excellent investment.
    Another commonly overlooked area on this type of convertible top is the gutter, which is made from the same vinyl as the top. Since it is hidden, a lot of shops do not even check the condition of it. If it has rotted through and you do not replace it, you will end up with water in the trunk. Sometimes you can have a dry trunk and when the gutter is disturbed by installing a top, it begins to leak. Again, this is a wise investment for very little money. A wet trunk always leads to more expensive problems.
    If you want to know more about your convertible, feel free to contact me. I have been installing and repairing convertibles for over 35 years, and have picked up a few pointers along the way.
    Best of luck with your project. Send me a picture when you are done.
    Best Regards,
    Ron