Thread: correct color of convertible boot

Exclamation

I've got a blue '67 Electra convertible with a black interior. Originally, the car came with a white top, but was replaced with a black top. I am going to order a new boot (don't have one) and I want to know what color the original boot would have been? Would it have matched the original top color (white) or matched the interior color (black)? Thanks in advance!

Doug
    67 Electra 225 Convertible
    BCA# 43125

Hello Doug.
    The convertible boot should always match the interior. You never see the top color when it is down and covered by the boot. The boot is like an extention of the rear seat and should match.
    Best Regards,
    Ron

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info Ron!... I have seen cars with a white boot and black interior around, that's where the uncertainty came from.

bf2knight Guest

Ron: If you say that the boot should match the interior seat color and I have a blue interior with white seats, which is the correct soft boot color? I would assume blue. And in the case of the parade boot, should it match the car color? I have found a parade boot and want to paint it the correct color.

The color of the boot should always match the color of the seat that it buts up to, so if your rear seat backrest top section is white, then the boot should be white. The only exception to this rule is if you have a hard boot, such as a fiberglass boot. Then the boot should match the paint color of the car. I hope this helps you decide what color you should have.
    Best Regards,
    Ron

bf2knight Guest

Thanks Ron, but that does go against what I have now. The current soft boot (which I believe to be original) is blue, matching the door trim panels, dash and carpet, not white matching the seats. I need to replace the boot in the near future as it is in pretty rough shape, and you are saying to replace the soft boot with white, correct?

Everything I have seen over the past 35 years had been the way I described it; however, it makes sense that the boot would match the door panels because the front sides of the boot attach to the piston covers which are part of the side panels. All of the interiors I have matched boots to are either all one color or the top of the rear seat matched the side panels. Now that I understand how your colors are laid out, I would tend to lean toward matching the side panels. I have looked in all my GM books, and there is no reference to what part of an interior the boot matches, other than they normally match the interior rather than the paint.
    Best Regards,
    Ron