Thread: Aftermarket Seatbelts for a '67 Skylark?

USAFA Corey Guest

Question

I'm relatively new to the board, i just purchased my first buick about a week ago. Its a 67 Skylark, with GS hood and grille. As far as interior goes, its got buckets, i assume they're original, but i really dont know. The interior is a little rough, and needs some fixin up, but not to bad. Anyways, on to my question. I go to the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado, but I (and my car) live in St. Pteresburg Florida. The plan is to drive her out to Colorado either come next spring or summer break. The only problem is Momma refuses to let me drive the car cross country unless I gets some seat belts in her. Any clue where I can get some aftermarket ones, or stock ones, or whatever i need? or what exactly is involved with installing them? I'm pretty much clueles here, im an engine guy, i know my stuff there, but interior... im cluless. Thanks for all teh help

------------------
    C3C C/SSgt Corey M. Lynch
    US Air Force Academy

buick3001964 Guest

look in a streetrod magazine, think i even seen stock type belts in a summit catolog. good luck

------------------
    Sean Etson
    64 special 300 pwr 12.72@105
    64 skylark all original servivor
    49 super modei 51

Talking

Hello. The Skylark comes with the bolts for the seat belts welded to the floor pan support, so installing new belts will only involve locating the holes (this can be done with a long needle from under the car; just poke it up through the carpet and mark the hole on the top side) and bolting in the new belts. There are several web sites that handle seat belts. Just be sure that they are government approved before making your purchase. They should be about $20.00 per set for lap belts. (Lap belts are all that is required for your year.) Let me know if you have additional questions about your upholstery.
    Best Regards,
    Ron

USAFA Corey Guest

If the floorplans had been replaced sometime during the life of the car, would they also have the mounting areas? The gentleman i bought it from said he ahd replaced the floorpans a few yars back. Thanks again!

------------------
    C3C C/SSgt Corey M. Lynch
    US Air Force Academy

Hello Corey.
    Without looking underneath, there is no way to tell if the mounting nuts are there. These were originally welded to the cross braces, so if just the floor pans had been replaced, they should be there. If the cross braces have also been replaced, you will need to look under the car to see if the nuts are still welded there. Take a look underneath and let me know what you find.
    Best Regards,
    Ron