- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: 1 steps closer to being automatic (51 str8)

ratrod51 Guest

alright,

i bought the transmision adapter thanks to you guys (Ed Raner) for the link to (www.transmissionadapters.com). it wasnt cheap but its what i need. i will be running my original miles straight 8 with a now automatic modern transmision and rear differential.
    now is the big question cause everybody around town tells me different things...

what transmision (700R, 350, turbo 350 or other) should i buy?

what diffirential should i buy, off what car with what gearing in it?

here is what i am looking for... Longevity and highway speeds of close 90mph (not over reving). i dont care to be the last car off at the light, i just want my original straight 8 to not work too hard to move the car around town or on long trips, yes i drive the car daily.

hope you guys can help me out, i am looking to buy the transmission and diff as soon as possible.

chrismeyer6 Guest

I would go with a transmission with overdrive so you can get better gas milage and not work the motor to hard.

Go with 700r you then have overdrive, go with a gear ratio of 3:50-3:70. GM or Ford 9 inch the same width as your old rear end. Any rear set up will involve some welding and fabricating---spring perches, shock mounts and trailing arms or four link, ladder bars. If you feel you can`t tackle this get someone who knows and has done this rear end swap more than once. It will save you money in the long run. This is most often done by the pros. Good Luck!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

ratrod51 Guest

thanks for the feedback. I am running airride suspension so i have an idea as to how i am going to mount the rear end. i planed on using a four link set up that is specially designed for air ride. Well, thanks again i will be shopping for my 700r this weekend.