- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Anti-roll bar clearance

Hello All,

I am still building the 39 4 door sedan with the 455 engine on the 70's buick subframe. Just a couple of notes, I bought the car with the motor and subframe installed. Because of the front end (hood area)taper of the 39 the following changes had to be made to accomodate a radiator.
    The motor was installed 7" to far from the firewall and 3" to high in the frame, along with many other things that needed corrected.

How much clearance must be in the area of the sway bar? My radiator shroud clears the bar about 1/4" on two sides. The top and front is where the clearance is. I have never heard of any certain required clearance in this area probably because most peoples cars are not put together this way.

Thanks,
    Daryl

sergio Guest

It sounds like you are going to be just fine. Keep in mind that the radiator and sway bar move in conjucntion with each other. The clearance that you have to worry about is between the engine and the swaybar. Just keep in mind that because of physics, the faster you accelerate the engine, the more force the engine will exert on the engine mounts forcing the cranshaft DOWN. The opposite is true on deceleration. My '63 Rivi has about 1" clearance from the sway bar. That is probably overkill. You could also opt for poly-urethane engine mounts and trans mounts. These are a lot more stable (and harsh) but will ensure that nothing moves.

Thanks for the information.
    Daryl