- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: '54 series 40 trans questions

'54 Special Guest

Hi all,
    I had a few questions about the 3 speed trans in my '54 Special. It's a series 40 which obviously means it's a 264 and it has the smaller of the two synchromesh 3 speeds in it. My questions are as follows:
    -Are there any real drawbacks or problems with these transmissions?
    -I know they have a kind of cheesy looking type of pressure plate with the wavy springs instead of the regular 3 arm plate like I believe the other series have, but are these very reliable?
    -Are there any certain things to avoid or watch for with these transmissions?
    -Are the bigger trans used in the other series really better or is this just a concern if using a motor bigger than the stock 264?
    -After sitting for over 30+ years, is there anything in particular on the trans/torque tube/rearend that I should look for or check before starting to drive the car much, besides the usual fluid checks and maintenance?
    -And finally, is there anything besides not running over 40mph in low gear that I should do when driving it to protect both the trans and motor from unnecessary damage or wear? (Obviously not running it really hard would be one thing, but I assumed that was a given )

Thanks as usual for any and all replies to this post and I look forward to reading what you all have to say!!!
    [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hey John,

It is my understanding that the manual trans thay you have in your Special is the same transmission that was used in the earlier straight 8 buicks.

As it turns out that transmission did not hold up well with the additional hp and torque of the new nailhead, but it took Buick a few years to find that out. 1954 was the first year that the nailhead was used with the manual transmission.
    The new nailhead V-8 was introduced in 53 but it was a 322 with a dynaflow.

There are a lot of mid-fifty's buick with that combination. You just have to take it easy with it and give it a little TLC.

As long as everything operates in a proper manner, leave well enough alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I believe the bigger trans has a different bell housing and will only match up with the 322.
    When the time comes switch them as a matched pair.

In the meantime enjoy the car. You have a crusier not a brusier [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861