- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: 65 Skylark front spring interchangeability?

Hi all!

Will the front springs off a '66 GTO fit the A arms in a '65 Skylark? I'm sure they will as I think all A Body front clips are the same up to '66 or was it '67.

Also - will big block camaro front springs fit - they are apparrently 5 1/2 inches diameter. The 66 GTO ones are apparrently 4 7/8.
    [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Thanks all
    Nick Stratta
    <br />'65 Skylark 2 door post with plans for a 425 dual quad and switch pitch but in need of pretty much everything - what have u?!

Nick,

You will need to stick with a GM A-body spring (64-72). These all had different spring rates and #s of coils depending on the weight of the front end. AC cars had a stronger spring on the passenger side. What engine are you looking to put in your 65? If you know the front end weight or the engine being used, Eaton Spring can make you a set at a good price, or standard spring may be crossed over to your application.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Dr Frankenbuick,

Thanks - so that is why A/c non a/c is important! I always wondered!

I have read that 67-69 Camaro front springs will fit? There are some on ebay right now [my budget job remember!! - sorry]. There are also some '66 Chevelle springs around.

Do coil springs ever get tired and go off? I'm sure they do. If so I guess little used ones are the best bet.

I the guy planning to put a 425 Super Wildcat into my Skylark. From the engine weights chart you referred me to earlier, it is 300 lbs heavier than the 225 ci V6 so I am looking for some big block springs.

I can't afford to have Eaton Springs make me up a set for $200 or so. Also I'm in the UK so I need to worry about getting them shipped over - they mst weigh 30 lbs or so. I guess it is also a matter of matching up diameter - outside edge to outside edge, height, number of turns and wire guage to calculate the poundage.

regards & thanks
    Nick Stratta
    <br />'65 Skylark 2 door post with plans for a 425 dual quad and switch pitch but in need of pretty much everything - what have u?!

Thumbs up

Nick,

The spring pockets in the 65 are for a 4 7/8" diameter spring. A larger or smaller diameter spring will not fit into the pockets correctly.

Springs sag over time with use and gravity.

The only springs that I know will give you the original ride height are the 65-66 Skylark GS springs and the 67 396 equipped Chevelle. The BBC is almost the same weight as the Nailhead. If the 396 came in an earlier A-body, these would work as well.

Eaton made a set of front springs for my race car that were only $125. They may be cheaper then you think. Moog may be able to cross a spring or two over for you. Summit anf Jegs also carry some springs. Their tech lines may point you in the right direction.

Let us know what you find out, and what you did. [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]

Steve

You know how high your car sits now, and how high you want it to sit after the conversion. Maybe that is one inch higher? Take the old spring, that info and the fact that you want it to have another 300lbs of load at that hieght into a spring manufacturer in the UK, and I'll bet they could wip you up a set without any trouble. Spring manufacturer, not supplier.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!