Thread: show and shine

We had several people sign up for the show and shine today, unfortunatly most of them didn't continue with it to finish. I am once again looking at our forums and wondering about adding and deleteing some.

The pre war is hardly used, and if we eliminate it, the post war might as well go too. Probably everything will someone want to post will fit somewhere else anyway.

transmissions could be made into one with rear ends and brakes.

We could have a forum associated with the show and shine. Maybe this would create interaction with the users and the people who have problems could ask questions and get help.

What do you think?

Bob,

I think you are right about the first two, but I would leave transmission alone. You might also want to remove Bracket Racing as it is also hardly used. Performance would cover it. You could move me over to Nailhead, and I would be OK.

Steve

jnorth Guest

I think I had one heck of a time getting into the forums tonight. I should of bookmarked it. I think what you really need is to push your website with Buick owners. What I mean by that is to ask all your users to carry Buicks.net business cards with them to give to other Buick owners that they run across. I do this all the time for Team Chevelle when I run across other Chevelle owners. A monthly newsletter might be nice because it reminds people to come back and visit Buicks.net. The forums are fine they just don't get enough responses. Again thats due to lack of traffic. Thats my $.02 for what its worth.

------------------
    Jim North
    1971 Skylark Convertible
    1971 Chevelle Convertible
    My lame website

[This message has been edited by jnorth (edited 10-09-2002).]

While I like the specific "Bracket Racing" topic, you are probably right.

jnorth,
    Thank you for the 2 cents worth, it is needed. As far as bookmarking the forums is concerned, I don't know what you are doing for a "Home" on your browser, but we have some "stuff" for your computer you may not have noticed.
    http://www.buicks.net/misc/computer.html

The url for the web board will take you directly to it without the into page.

I like the idea about the cards. I will have to look into a format of some kind to make them easily printable.

The newsletter is excellent idea. I have sent out a few. It is easier to say than to put one together. My job is also "seasonal" in a sense, I am very busy in the summer and fall and who know the rest of the year. This make it difficult. I will try to put something together soon, I need a/some volunteers to try to help with it.

For whatever reason, today we had quite a few sign ups for the show and shine, but only two completed the forms. It has probably been the most yet!

jnorth Guest

I am not suprised that a bunch of people signed up for show and shine. Yesterday when I went to www.buicks.net there was no getting past show and shine because it was the main page(thats why I had problems getting to the forums). I know what you mean about the newsletter. Any Buick historians on the site? Maybe they could sit down and write 12 short Buick history lessons? Thats a start for having prewritten material for a newsletter. How about getting some Buick clubs to be featured once a month. They can write up their own description. Both of these are fillers for a newsletter that can be written well in advance and fill in the blanks on slow months. Also if you want more people to go to the forums you may want to add a description and a link above the free classified link on the home page instead of well below it also make the fonts much larger. As for volunteers I would be more than happy to help. I'm just not sure how much help I can be. Now you got my $.03 worth.

[This message has been edited by jnorth (edited 10-10-2002).]

malc Guest

Whilst some of the forums may not be too heavily used, I think they are ideally titled. Perhaps some of us are a little shy for example, and don't like to brag about their Buick exploits!! I don't even own a buick, but my brother has one he used to oval track, so i've just maintained my interest. That old 425 could regularly show some of the Chevvy powered cars the way home, and NEVER EVER let us down.

show and shine whoops!!! I guess I was updating a new entry and accidentally did it in the main directory.. I guess I'm fired...

It would be nice if someone who wished to write a dozen short history stories would post here, then we would have a first step towards a newsletter. Maybe you'd like to go for a whole dollars worth of stories? If we could get someone to cover events and write a few paragraphs of any they attended.

wdanielbern Guest

i like the part about informing about local car shows i left a post about how i went to a 2500-3000 car car show last weekend and there were only 8 buicks i found that to be great that no one owns a car like mine i just wish some people would respond to things other than just what will fix there cars.all yeah i was wondering wouldnt it be cool if there was something like power tour for us "buick tour" or just a small meeting of people who talk to each other on here like maybe once a year sectioned of in different parts of the u.s. so maybe even people who really dont have a lot of money could attend without the major travelling expenses.hey just some ideas guys