- Buick Cam Specifications for 401 and 425 nailheads
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Condenser on the coil

Ya know I have always seen these all over the old cars that I have owned over the years----whats the point, do we still really need them??? Were`nt they used to help keep the static out of the radio??? With all the new plug wires and better radios------------------do they need to be there?????????? Whada ya think??? [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Cool

I drive a 1955 Century with disconnected condenser,Pertronix converted distributor and a 1988 model (not too modern) radio/cassette stereo. I have never had any problem with the radio,not with the breaker point system either!

alltheoptions Guest

The condenser (capacitor) on the coil is indeed installed to prevent radio noise - which is why you won't see it on radio-delete-option cars.

Actually, the "pop" noise that can occur from a points ignition is a separate issue from that which can be caused by plug wires. "Switch-pop" is a noise that is induced in the POWER circuitry when a switch is closed - and your points are just a glorified 12v switch! You may hear a similar noise when you turn on any other switch. If your radio isn't succeptible to "Switch-pop", then you can do without this condenser.

The way plug wires contribute to radio noise is by actually leaking broadband radio waves, which the radio picks up through the antenna, so that's a SIGNAL problem, as opposed to a POWER problem. You're correct that newer technology wires and radios reduce this source of noise considerably.

Hey soul brother.. ur radio player in ur 55 century, if im not wrong u said ur player is from a 1988? did u have to cut the dash or what? I really want a radio/cd player but it cost alot to rebuild the old am radio to a fm/am radio, and it costs about the same to get just a fm radio that is made to fit in the dash? I dont wanna cut my dash, anychance anybody has one of these aftermarket cd players used that go right in the dash without any customizing, altering or cutting of the dash? Pls explain how urs is. kc

the noise will still be there even with a modern radio if you listen to any AM stations. most all cars till 70 something only had AM radios.