- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1966 Wildcat Gran Sport

Victor Guest

Question

I am in need of some help, and I've been looking for a 65 or 66 Wilcat and I found one, but the seller says it is "really rare" and because it is a Gran Sport Wildcat with the 425. Does anybody know how to confirm the car is really a Gran Sport? It really does have a 425 ci motor and some emblems on the side, but anybody could slap some GS emblems on a car. 1. Does it show up on the VIN or engine code? 2. Are there unique features that give it away as a GS? 3. Are they really that rare? I have not heard of them before, and there is hardly anything on the Internet about a Wildcat Gran Sport. Any help would be appreciated very much!!! Thanks, Victor

Victor-
    I'm not the expert, but....
    The 66 Wildcat GS has specific ornamentation, grille(just a GS, not spelled out)
    on the quarters, the trunk lid, and the dash next to the dash script emblem.
    The engine MUST be a 425 and MUST have chrome air cleaner, cast-aluminum valve covers and posi- traction rear end(The axle ratios can vary- i've seen real Wildcat GS'S with 3:42s or 3:07s)
    Contrary to popular mith- they dont have to have bucket seats- i've seen 2 original survivor cars with bench seats and 3:07 economy rear ends.

The GS package was a performance/dress-up package on either the wildcat or the wildcat custom
    available in any color with any color interior.

It was actually a rare option because it was not very well advertised, but dealers either loaded the cars, or people in the know bought them for what they were

I have the exact production figures as soon as i find them( there some where on this desk

nailheads forever

Victor Guest

Thanks for the information! This one does have a bench seat. It has all the emblems you mentioned. It does have aluminum valve covers, but a regular aircleaner, but maybe someone changed out the chrome one. I will check the motor to make sure it is a real 425. I wish it was custom model with the bench seats! Let me know the prodution numbers when you get a chance... Thanks, Victor

palbuick Guest

Hi Victor.
    I have a restored 1966 Wildcat GS convt. Production was 198 of the Custom wildcats convts.
    Only way to correctly verify it is a GS model is the production sheet. Lots of clones out there now, because car is such a low production model and was produced in one year only. 1966. The GS models were available in bothe the Standard Wildcat and the Custom Wildcat, The standard model was the lowest production, Either in the H.T.or the convt. The cars with Bucket seats were the lowest production. There are a few original cars around yet.

Jim Schilf
    palbuick

Ed Raner Guest

Question:
    On the Riviera GS for 1966, there was a dealer option of the two four barrel set up. Was this also available on the Wildcat? The standard 425 in the Riviera and Riviera GS was also a one year only model. That nailhead engine had the new spread bore Rochester Quadrajet carburetor.

Ed Raner

If You really want to narrow down the field. try to find one with a Borg-Warner H-10 4 speed.
    Only about 40 of those babys made.

Anybodys guess as to how many still remaining in existance.

I suspect most of them were re-incarnated into Toyotas or Datsuns or your favorate beverage container in the late 70's

or!!! Seabisquits final resting place.

No elmers glue wasn't packaged in metal cans.

If you dog has gas, maybe the Buick Backfired.

Regards'

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Victor Guest

Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the information. You said: " Only way to correctly verify it is a GS model is the production sheet." Where would I look for the production sheet? Thanks, Victor

Victor Guest

I also had another question for you guys. What is the difference between the custom and the standard Wildcats? I used to think the custom Wildcats had the bucket seats and the center console, but the VIN for this GS Wildcat says is is a custom Wilcat, but it has a bench seat and column shifter! I'm confused! Thanks a lot. Victor

Tom, I have to pick on you for a second here- there were no 66 Wildcat 4-speed cars made. 65 was the last year for the 4-speed.
    Wild Bill has a 4- speed but its from a 65 [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

The only difference between std and Custom Wildcats would be the interior trim. Both std (black only)and Custom (black or dove for buckets only)trim available as vinyl bench or bucket. Only the style is different.

Ed, that option was available on the 66 Wildcat GS. Sales code A-8 -only 21 made according to BMD Daily Sales Report. Probably more were sold but early in the model year it was a dealer add on option-not well documented for Wildcats.
    Ted Nagel
    (6)65 Wildcats; 65 Riviera; 65 Special Wagon; 65 GS; 65 Skylark; 67 Wildcat; 67 California GS; (2)68 GS400; 69 GS 350; 70 GS Stage 1; Wanted: time to fix 'em