- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 322 nailhead /chevy truck questions

I recently discovered that my 322 nailhead is from a Chevy truck (56-59). Does anyone have any info on these particular nailheads? The block and heads have unique casting numbers, what is the difference? What is the stock compression ratio? Where they mostly stick shifts or automatics? How many were put in Chevies? Anything special I should be aware of? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have heard of Chevrolet, Oldsmobile and Pontiac engines being used in Buick cars. Most of that happens from the late 60s to the early 90s from what I understand.
    I have never heard of the Buick engines in the 56-59 Chevrolet trucks, however anything is possible I suppose.

How did you find out your 322 was from a Chevy truck?

What are the casting numbers on your nailhead ?

What is the year and model of your car that the 322 is in ?
    Joe-(39 Century)

Remember it takes approximately 3500 bolts to build a Buick and only 1 Nut to spread them all over the highway"

The casting number on the block is 1169334. The Buicks.net Engine Identification page (www.buicks.net/shop/engine_ident.html) indicates a 56 to 59 Chevy truck application. I was also aware of the later BOP corporate engine substitutions. GM also used Pontiac and Oldsmobile engines in Chevy & GMCs in the 50s(I think) and 60s. I and several friends who have a LOT more GM knowledge and experience than I do were surprised to learn of this nailhead application. If I admit that the 322 is in a 29 Ford, will I still be welcome on this site?

If I admit that the 322 is in a 29 Ford, will I still be welcome on this site?
    I can't vote for everybody else here, and I'm relatively new to the site myself, but I would say WELCOME ABOARD [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img] What better way to improve a F**d than to power it with a Buick [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Joe-(39 Century)

Remember it takes approximately 3500 bolts to build a Buick and only 1 Nut to spread them all over the highway"

The Buicks.net Engine Identification page (www.buicks.net/shop/engine_ident.html) indicates a 56 to 59 Chevy truck application
    That's pretty interesting (actually pretty wild), when you think about it. I never heard of it.
    I went to Kanters Auto site and checked out their engine rebuild kits. If you scroll down to the Buick page and click on 322 it comes up for 53-56 Buick 264 and 322 engines and also references the Chevrolet truck engines. Likewise if you scroll down to the GMC truck page and look for 322 it references you back to the Buick page. CLICK HERE TO CHECK IT OUT

Makes me wonder what model of Chev and GMC trucks they were in - pickups - 1 ton etc.

Do you know where your engine came from ??????
    Joe-(39 Century)

39 Century:Kanter cross reference was a clever way to confirm the Buicks.net information. I don't know much about the car (engine) at this point. I plan to contact the guy I bought it from when it gets a little warmer and ask him some questions. I was hoping someone had some knowledge on this. The Kanter info suggests the truck engine must be pretty close to the car version. I was thinking it may have had a lower compression ratio. There was a 322 on Ebay with a standard trans and chome valve covers, maybe the 322 was offered in the Cameo Carrier? I'll keep you informed if you are interested. Thanks for the response to my questions.

Definitely keep me and the others informed on what you find out.

I find it very interesting because I have owned and presently own a couple of Chevy trucks and never have heard a peep about a Nailhead in a factory Chevy pickup, before reading your post.

Kinda gives me ideas about putting a Nailhead in my 50 Chev 1/2 ton !
    Joe-(39 Century)

Talking

The 322 Nailhead does indeed show up in the 56 through 59 Chevy truck shop manuals. The compresssion ratios used were lower than those used on Buick cars. Most were supplied with 2 bbl. carbs, but a 4 bbl was available in 57. The 322 engine had a name in the Chevy truck engine lineup (??Power Master on the 2bbl type or Super Power Master for the 4bbl version).

These 322s were only available in the very large truck and school bus models in 56 and 57 (?? about 1-1/2 ton and up). In 58, the Chevy 348 came out as the in-house replacement big truck engine. But the 322 continued on in the largest school bus chassis models for 58 and 59. I like to tease Chevy guys that the first big block V8 they ever had came from Buick!

The transmissions were mostly manual 4 spds. though a 6-speed Allison automatic (?? Power- matic) was available in 56.

Otherwise just about all the engine parts data and instructions in the shop manuals read just like the Buick manuals. Shared parts used the same part numbers under Buick or Chevrolet numbering systems.

These Nailhead engines show up as well under Chevy in MOTOR's Truck manuals from the 50s & early 60s. The MOTOR's manuals and NADA Used Car Value guides show the model applications that could have used the 322.

The use of Pontiac engines in GMC models is well documented in MOTOR's too. Though several guys have told of Buick engines going into GMC's, I have never been able to trace down documentation on such a combo.

Sorry for the haziness on some of the data. I am not around the shop manuals right now to confirm the accuracy of a few things. It is good to see one of these engines surface here on the board. This appears to be the first time an owner has reported having a truck-style Nailhead. Now the temptation is there to stop at the junkyards and check under the hood of every late-50s Chevy grain truck and school bus to see if it has Nailhead under the hood.
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Great information Todd !

Just goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks

And you're right about stopping at all the boneyards to check under those hoods !!!!!!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Joe-(39 Century)

Todd, Thank you for the info. You have answered a lot of questions. It makes sense that the 322 was the interim engine before the 348 Chevy. Guess I'll look for a Chev Truck manual. (I'm interested in knowing the stock compression ratio) One thing is probably true about the 322 truck appplication is that they were probably used hard and long before being put to rest. I'll post if anything interesting develops. Thanks again to both 39 Century and Todd for the replies.